Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips on Peegee Hydrangea

Posted by mo_flowers MO (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 21:02

I would like to try growing a Peegee Hydrangea. Has anyone had success with growing these? Any tips? (Planting after this cold snap, of course).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips on Peegee Hydrangea

Pretty much the same as all hydrangeas, they prefer acidic soil so change your pH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Hydrangeas

o

PeeGee's (Hydrangea paniculata 'Grandiflora') requires some direct sunlight, about 6 hours daily, to bloom well. They will not flower at all in full shade. It blooms on new wood, in mid to late summer, so can be pruned or shaped in the spring. Soil type is not that important, but a sandy or other fast draining soil will require frequent irrigation until the shrub/tree is well established. Once established, it is very drought tolerant.They can be grown as a multi-trunk shrub or trained/pruned into a single standard tree form. In either case, they can become very large, width & height, so allow plenty of room for them to grow.
They are probably the most cold hardy of all Hydrangea species. During the recent cold blast, my temperatures were in the mid 20's for a couple of nights and they sustained no visible leaf damage, while all of the other Hydrangea species and many trees suffered major foliage damage.
If you like white flowers, this is an easy plant to grow.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea paniculata - PeeGee & Family

o

Thanks for the advice! Getting sun will be no problem. I am planting in a full sun area that gets no less than 8 hrs. sun a day. I am planting in an area in which I need a decorative tree to give shade to some other plants that need the shade (one is a Miranda Hydrangea) which needs more shade than it's going to get in that sunny spot. I hope the PeeGee grows fast! I do water that area regularly every summer (every day).

I wanted a tree, not enormous, but large enough to provide some shade to an area that really doesn't get any shade to speak of. It sounds like this one can take (once established) the kind of crazy weather we can get here in the Ozarks. Dry summers almost to drought, late freezes, geez... I think we've had it all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here