Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Baron Girod de l'Ain

Posted by teeandcee Missouri zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 21:04

I adore this rose. Due to our mild winter there was no dieback so it's covered in these gorgeous plummy red blooms with white streaks. Smells yummy too!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Baron Girod de l'Ain

Pretty Teeandcee!
I've seen some yards with a lot of roses blooming this spring. I think the winter was good to them.

o

I have gone through my attempts at roses. That one is the kind I love - old fashioned looking dark and fragrant. I am surrounded by multiflora from a hedge that used to be in a fence line of a dairy neighbor. I think disease comes from them. I do have Knock Outs but there is no fragrance.

o

Thank y'all. I have Knockouts too and am one of those people who can smell a fragrance on them even if it's faint.

Everything seems to be extra pretty this year.

o

Gorgeous rose. I have wondered about trying it, but haven't so far. I thought there would be more white?

My roses are all in full bloom about a month early.

Do you have to spray to keep down black spot. There came early to the roses this year too.

o

Gldn, it does have more white. Below are pics taken yesterday that show its normal appearance (April 27). One thing about this rose is it seems to be a bit tender up here. It's big this year due to our mild winter but the year before it came through the winter with only 2 canes. I'm not sure how it'll hold up long term.

It does get blackspot but I don't bother to spray. I've noticed that as my roses mature they grow more immune to BS. This rose never defoliates, just loses some leaves.

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Thanks for the additional pictures; it is a beautiful rose.

o

Your yard looks very neat and the roses are beautiful. Thanks for the pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here