Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taz6122

It's a gully washer

taz6122
13 years ago

Strong thunder storms with quarter size hail and continuous rain here. I've got a new gully in my yard. Had to bring in all my potted seedlings and got tagged in the back of the head with a rather large chunk of hail. Looks like rain for the next couple days. Hope you got your sand bags out ;)

Comments (11)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I brought some plants in too....just in case.

All we got was lightening and rain. I haven't checked yet to see how much. Checked; just over 1/2 inch with more on the way.

I hope you don't get anymore hail!

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Sounds painful Taz! Be careful. We didn't get any hail here.

I brought in some tiny cardinal flower seedlings that I didn't want to wash away but I'm going to bring in some other seedlings before the heavy rain tonight. We got about an inch last night. I'm glad we're getting a break from it for awhile before it starts again.
    God bless my sump pump. I don't want to have to use the shop vac on my basement. I hope it works if needed. Does anyone ever test theirs somehow?

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

Ouch, Taz!

I don't know how much, but we got a lot. It rained hard for a long, long time, off and on. I enjoyed lying in bed listening to it with my kitty purring next to me.

Perfect timing too as I just transplanted a small Japanese maple and large hosta.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I had a black stock tank over my well top for the winter and decided to turn it over this morning to hold rain water. Two big black snakes were under it. The well man told me mice like to live in the concrete round thing that goes over the well tops. The insulation always gets chewed up so I guess it is a good thing to have the big snakes. I am being very careful today. I saw a little brown snake in the garden. Three snakes before 10:00 am.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I had heavy rain two days in a row. My stock tanks are full and I got some hail too. Annie the weather dog told me it was bad before I saw the big pink spots on the weather map.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

My mom sent me this pic of some hail they got in Mansfield this afternoon (Apr 23, Saturday). She said it only lasted about 5-10 minutes but was pretty loud on their tin roof!

• helenh
    13 years ago

That size does more than make noise.

• taz6122
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It sure does! It does damage to rooves and cars and people. I got a knot on my head.
    I think this is the chunk that hit me.

And a couple more pics of the yard afterwards. Mind you the ground is 4 feet lower than the deck which is what my plants are on and you can see the gully in the background of the first one.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Well I thought we had gotten through the worst of it until I looked at the forecast this morning. There's still a lot more rain on the way. We may have some pretty bad flooding. Everyone be careful driving.
    We've escaped the hail at our house as far as I know, but I got caught driving in it yesterday and had to pull into a parking lot. I'm glad I wasn't on the highway.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

We were in St.Louis for the weekend and were hunkering down in the basement of our Son's house....sirens blasting. We were just 25 miles from Lambert Airport and that isn't too far when the storm is moving about 60 mph! We were lucky and no storm damage there. Others nearby weren't so fortunate.
    It rained most of the weekend.

When we got home we just found l inch in the gauge and no damage that we could see. I had moved some flats inside before we left.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I am glad you missed the tornado, but I'll bet it was scary in the basement. I didn't turn my rain gauge over until Friday after the heavy rain and hail. I have about 5 additional inches in there and water everywhere. Lightning got my phone but I'm not going to town to get another until the storms stop.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH