Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

Saturday's farmer's market & Wickman's

teeandcee
14 years ago

Did anyone go? My mom and I went. I got a Summer Wine ninebark and some variegated Solomon's Seal. The ninebark was an impulse buy, but I was delighted to find the Solomon's Seal as I've been on the lookout for some.

We also went by Wickman's. Wow! I've never been there and can't believe I've waited this long! They have so many neat plants you can't find anywhere else. I was overwhelmed and can't wait to go back with cash in pocket and list in hand. I saw the most gorgeous hosta I almost bought. It was light green with buttery yellow highlights.

Comments (12)

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

teeandcee,

If you love hostas, you should visit Hilltop Farm. They have one of the largest selections of perennials in southwest Missouri and over 300 varieties of hostas and a one acre display garden of their collection of over 1000 varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilltop Farm

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Violet. I've been waiting all winter to make my first trip to Hilltop!

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I tried to find on their website when the display garden will open but didn't see a date. I don't think it would be open yet with it being so muddy and the hostas just starting to come up. ?? They have their plants for sale but I want to visit the display garden while I'm there.

Variegated Solomon's Seal is one of my all-time favorites. It's one of the few things I can grow in my dry shade areas.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I bought the variegated Solomon's Seal at last year's Master Gardener Sale. I thought it was dead; the dog dug it up at least twice the year I planted it and I would find it laying dry on the patio....replanted it. I was thrilled to see about 10 different spikes in a spread around the original plant. It already bloomed and I can see the variegation.

I now have a piece of farm fencing laying over it.....I had Lemon Swirl tulips almost open to go with the Jack Frost brunnera in that same little planter................my dog and son's dog evidently knocked the bloom off with their tails.........I saw petals laying over the yard......or one bit it off. I don't think our dog would do that, but anyway I didn't get to see the bloom!

Does Hilltop still charge for a 'guided tour' of the display gardens? That put me off of them.....

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does Solomon's Seal look good all summer? Unless dogs get it, that is. I'd like to plant some in my front shade bed but need stuff there that will stand up to neighborhood standards.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

It's probably best to call and ask when their display garden opens and if they charge. Their hostas got hit hard in the recent year's ice storms. There may be events where it might be free. But I do recall they like to charge for everything unless you have coupons for their specials.

Solomon's Seal looks fantastic all summer so long as it is in shade. Definitely a staple for any shade garden.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Violet. It will be in full shade all summer. That's great news as I really love the looks of it.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Mine gets some dappled shade/sun through the trees but not really direct sun and it looks fine all summer.
    Is your shade bed along the front of your house or under a tree?

Helleborus is a good companion for Solomon's Seal. It tolerates dry shade also. The helleborus would be evergreen though so the ground wouldn't be bare in the winter. I'll see if I can find a photo of mine.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't know helleborus was evergreen. I love the looks of them. I'd love to see yours.

I've discovered today the area I planted my Solomon's Seal gets sun the last 2-1/2 hours of the day. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on it. This bed is in the front of the house but at an angle to the sun.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I didn't forget Teeandcee!
    Here's a photo of helleborus foetidus. The flowers are light green and the foliage is dark green. Kind of a boring flower color I guess but it's one of the few things I can get to survive in dry shade without constant watering.

Helleborus orientalis has flowers with different colors but they hang upside down so they're not very showy sometimes unless you buy the expensive cultivars. They're pretty easy to grow but are taking a long time to mature for me. H. foetidus grows a little faster.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I love the flower color. That is absolutely gorgeous. I think I gotta get me some of these. :D

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I see h. orientalis for sale at nurseries sometimes but haven't seen h. foetidus, at least not locally. I got mine in a trade years ago. I have a few seedlings that would be about the right size to mail if you would like them. Just email me.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA