Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

Anyone know what these are? Image heavy

teeandcee
13 years ago

It was such a gorgeous afternoon I talked the Hub into going with me to the Spfd Botanical Garden. Some stuff didn't have ID tags. Does anyone know what these are?

In the shade garden.

Close of above.

This was in the herb garden and looks like it'll bloom in yellow soon. Long shot for scale followed by close shot.

In the shade garden. The flowers are on thin stalks about 8 inches above the low-to-the-ground leaves.

Comments (13)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

First photo - I bought some bulbs labeled scilla that look the same so it might be that. Good place to start at least.

I think the second one is rue - If it is, it's a great host plant for black swallowtails and giant swallowtails. Watch for caterpillars. Also watch about brushing up against it. It can give you a rash, especially if you're out in the sun afterwards. It reacts with the sun. There's a word for that but I don't remember what it is phyto...something I think.

The third one might be brunnera (bugloss). What do the leaves look like?

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Christie! I think you're right on all three. Funny thing is, I have a brunnera in my garden, but it's one with white-ish leaves and hasn't bloomed (just got it this spring) so they looked nothing alike.

How do you like the scilla? I'm thinking it's be pretty in one of my part-shade sections. Does the foliage hold up all summer?

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

I cut my scilla back after it bloomed like I do my daffodils but I don't know if I was supposed to. I don't know whether the foliage dies back. It's coming back every year (so far) which is a big plus for any kind of bulb.
    If you like the spikey foliage, variegated liriope is pretty too and will do well in shade.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I have the plant in the first photo. I love it because it spreads a little not bad. I let the leaves die back and turn yellow. I don't know what it is but I call it wood hyacinth. I tried to order more and didn't know what to order to be sure of getting that plant.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helen, do you mean they die back and turn yellow in the summer like a lot of spring bulbs?

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

I agree with the first two. I bought that scilla also, it was beautiful until the deer ate all the flowers. Sigh.

Not sure that the last one is brunnera, it looks more like mysotis (forget-me-not). The leaves don't look quite right for brunnera.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a shot of the leaves. Based on pics I can't really tell. The leaves don't quite look like forget-me-nots. I've heard brunnera leaves change as summer goes on. Maybe it's that?

• helenh
    12 years ago

I think I saw that plant today labeled brunnera. Yes the Spanish bluebells, scilla, wood hyacinths whatever are spring bulbs with foliage that dies back.

• peggiewho
    12 years ago

It is hard to tell from the picture if the plant is 'forget me not' an annual or Brunner. Brunner have larger round leaves all summer, a low mounding plant. In spring they have tall spikes with smaller leaves and the little forget me knot flowers in a halo. The flower spikes are so different from the plant a visitor recently asked if there were two plants in the pot. I also have the variegated Brunner 'Jack Frost', just finished blooming. It gets morning sun and blooms reliably. It adds a lot to a shade garden.
    {{gwi:1111549}}

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

OK that is brunnera. Big basal leaves with small top leaves where the flowers come out. Perennial Forget me not (mysotis) has more pointed leaves and no big basal leaves.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helen, thanks for that info. I'm glad I didn't get any as I have no place for something like that right now.

Peggie, I LOVE your brunnera set-up. What's that growing at the base of the pot?

Mosswitch, that's kind of what I was thinking based on pics and my own brunnera.

• peggiewho
    12 years ago

Oops Brunnera! I will have to get the picture of it actually blooming next spring. Babies tears are growing up the pot but will get less aggressive with the summer heat. Once established here it can take dry shade. It isn't suppose to be hardy in my zone 9 but persists in protected areas which works out. In the right zone it is invasive and hated. It makes a wonderful easy ground cover for me. In your zone you could put it in a pot you plan to drag into cover for the winter. My lime I drag in shares with diamond frost euphorbia. I take cuttings in spring and spread the frost around the yard.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Peggy. It really is gorgeous. I'm too lazy to drag stuff in and out.