Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

Image heavy--visit to Spfd botanical garden

teeandcee
13 years ago

Assorted wide-view shots taken last Tuesday. They had a beautiful (a bit weedy but still really neat) creeping oregano garden. It had brick edges and a sun dial in the middle. I'm going back and get a pic as I want to do a smaller version in my backyard.

Solomon's Seal in the shade garden....and my mom's gray hair splashed all over the internet, hehe.

Lysimachia punctata "Alexander" in the shade garden.

Tradescantia pallida "Purple Queen." This was in both shady and sunny areas. The pic doesn't capture the gorgeous blue of the flower.

Some type of geranium.

Maybe same type of geranium as above.

Apparently I was enthralled with the geraniums but failed to take pics of the ID tags.

Comments (19)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

This makes me want to get up there soon.

Thanks for the preview.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos! Were those all taken in the Demonstration Garden? I need to go more often.

The iris should be blooming right now in the Iris Garden near the Butterfly Garden. Did you find that area? It's across the field sort of south of the Demonstration Garden. Some people miss it.

• helenh
    13 years ago

It looks different to me, but I don't think I've been this early. That building is throwing me off. I love to go there and a little weedy is OK with me because I am a lot weedy here. Keep those pictures coming if you go again. I love garden pictures.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know, I'm not really sure what gardens we were in. I'm assuming these were the demo gardens. They were the first gardens we came to near the parking lot closest to the main highway/road entrance.

Anyway, I think the third pic down might be the iris garden as it was filled with iris. I failed to get any closeups as we were about to leave for Hilltop Farms nursery in Ash Grove and were excited about that after getting all inspired!

I'm a lot weedy here too so they didn't bother me, lol.

I may see if I can talk hubby into going this afternoon and I'll get more pics.

I really wanted to see the hosta garden but couldn't find it.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

When you first pull into the park, there's another drive that goes down to the south toward a little lake and bridge. The hosta garden is close to the lake. I think you missed a good part of the flower gardens.

• helenh
    13 years ago

Next time take time to walk all around. There is a nice lake. If your husband isn't in to flowers, he can walk around the lake or watch the people with children look at the geese. The hosta garden is inside a metal fence and behind a small rose garden and white garden. In summer you will need to find the daylilies over by the tall ornamental grass garden. There is an English garden by the path on the way to the grasses and daylilies. They have started a shrub demonstration garden, but the shrubs are still small. You should pay to see the Japanese Garden at least once to see if that is your cup of tea. It has hours so you would need to check on-line to make sure it is open.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dang, we missed most of the garden then! Thanks y'all. I'll definitely be going back in the near future (didn't go yesterday, too tired).

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Hope you do get a chance to go back.
    If you drive to the back of Nathanael Greene, east of where you were, there's a parking lot close to the Japanese Stroll Garden. It costs to get in, but not very much ($3?). If you take quarters, you can feed the Koi.

The gardens on the south side near the lake are free but very nice. You won't want to miss those. You may want to move your car closer so you won't have to walk so far. You CAN walk all the way around the lake, but after you pass the English Garden, there's a path that branches to the left (if you're walking east). That's where the Butterfly Garden, Grass Garden, Iris Garden, etc. are all located. Be sure you don't miss that area. It's kind of hard to see from the main loop around the lake.

I think your photo of Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Queen' is actually columbine but I don't know the name. The tradescantia would have purple leaves. Maybe it had died and the tag was still there. I have the same columbine blooming now in my yard. Someone brought it to our local trade several years ago. I've also seen it for sale at the Master Gardener Sale that they have in April. I can try to save some seeds from mine later this summer if you would like some. Just email me.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie, thanks for the directions. The Japanese garden was closed the day we were there otherwise I'd have visited.

You're right.....that's definitely NOT the correct tag,lol. I've been so doofy this week. Normally I would have checked. I'm going to order this columbine from Bluestone (I think it's the same one they have) but thank you for the seed offer. My luck with seeds is bad....really bad. :D

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Bluestone has several that are pretty. Melba Higgins looks very similar to me.
    Mine's planted in shade under an oak tree. I haven't tried planting it in sun but the one in your photo looks like it's in a sunny spot. I should try it and see how it does there. I get volunteers occasionally but I've never tried sowing it in pots.
    I don't do that well with seeds either. I've learned to expect a lot of failures.

• Violet_Z6
    13 years ago

All of your beautiful photos were taken in the Master Gardener Demonstration Gardens except for photo #3 which is the Federated Garden Club.

These 2 gardens are just 2 of 21 that exist in the 114 acres that comprise Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park.

You must turn right as Christy said to get to the southwest parking lot. There you will see the English Garden, the Iris Garde, Hosta Garden, Asiatic Lily Garden, Ornamental Grass Garden, Butterfly Garden, White Garden, Columbine Garden, Redbud Garden, Wildflower Garden, and that's just to name a few.

You'll also see the Butterfly House which opens May 15 and runs through September. There will be a Bluegrass & Blossoms Festival, as well as the Butterfly Festival. For more on events at the park, check the link below. You can "search" for events at Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park.

Here is a link that might be useful: Friends of the Garden Calendar

• Violet_Z6
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention, another great source for being informed is the Friends of the Garden Blog which has something new added every day.

Here is a link that might be useful: FOG Blog

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Violet, thanks for the links. I really missed most of the gardens! Yeesh. I think it'd be fun to bring a bike and peddle through the park. I don't have one and would never bother loading it up if I did, but I love the idea. I saw several folks walking their dogs there too.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Teeandcee - Did you get to go back yet? The lilies are blooming right now.

The butterfly exhibit was locked but we could see them flying around in there.

The yellow flower is an unknown for me. Does anyone know what it is?

• Violet_Z6
    13 years ago

Good to hear someone made it out recently. The Bill Roston Butterfly House is open on weekends and there are docents to show you butterflies at different stages of life on specific plants.

The Butterfly House will be open during the free Bluegrass & Blossoms Festival this month, as well as during the Butterfly Festival next month. The Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden will also be open for free during the Butterfly Festival. Free tram service is available on weekends.

For details, click the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly House Dates, Times, Festival & Tram, Free

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie, not yet. I'm actually going to try to go tomorrow (Sat) with my mom. It's just so stinking hot. The pics are gorgeous. I'm really going to have to plant myself some lilies thanks to everyone posting all these gorgeous pics! And I love that yellow flower. I wonder what it is. It looks really familiar.

Violet, I'm so glad you posted that info! I usually don't find out about these things until it's too late. I will definitely be going to the butterfly festival plus I've been wanting to see the Japanese garden.

• Violet_Z6
    13 years ago

Christie,

The last photo is: Hypericum frondosum, golden st. johns-wort, cedarglade st. johns-wort.

teeandcee,

My pleasure. It's amazing how many people have never heard of or been to the park at all! There is a lot going on right now and if you can brave the heat, there are a lot of things in bloom for you to enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Friends of the Garden Blog - Another Source for Info

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

That's it Violet! Thank you! It's an unusual looking flower I thought.

• Violet_Z6
    13 years ago

Glad to be able to help!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting