Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

Assorted garden pics--image heavy

teeandcee
13 years ago

Here are a few pics I took in my garden. Enjoy!

A white mystery salvia I got at Lowes last season for next to nothing due to it being almost dead. I love a good deal!

A mystery purples salvia that I got at the same time as the white above. I think I paid a dollar for these.

My HF Young clematis I got at Lowes last year.

A mystery iris that was here when we moved in.

Closeup of an about-to-bloom La Belle Sultane (gallica rose).

Schneezwerg (German for White Dwarf), a hybrid rugosa.

{{gwi:267878}}

Schneezwerg from a distance.

{{gwi:267876}}

Mystery weigela that I got from Gurney's last year as a bareroot six-inch stick. I've had good luck with Gurney's and have several shrubs I got last year that started out as six-inch sticks and are now two to four feet high.

Comments (6)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

You have some beauties here and real bargains.

I love the hairy leaves on the Gallica. I have never seen it before. I thought once I would like to have a rose from each class to see how they performed....then RRD hit here and I paused.

I bought the white salvia too! I already had some blues so didn't get them. Same with H.F. Young; just give it another year and you may not be able to walk down the stairs!

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

You got a good deal on the salvias. Those things bloom forever.
    Love your clematis on the stairs! They had several different varieties for sale at Hilltop Farm when I visited a few days ago, one with huge flowers, but I didn't write down the name. The color was similar to yours. Wish I had gotten the name.

Pretty iris and roses. Everything looks so healthy.
    The weigelas have been exceptionally pretty this year. I saw a beautiful pink one down the road just covered with blooms the same color as yours. I have Wine and Roses. It's blooming good this year but sometimes doesn't. I planted it too close to another shrub.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I love that dark rose bud and the whites too. I'll bet they are fragrant. That weigla looks great for a shrub just planted last year. You give your plants room to grow and that is good for roses. I tend to crowd things together.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gldno, I have the same idea regarding each class of rose. I'm surrounded by neighbors with grass and evergreens so RRD (knock on wood) isn't a problem. There are a couple of multiflora on the pasture fence a few houses down that I eye suspiciously each year though. That's so funny about the salvia too, lol. I love those clearance deals. I just picked up a dead-looking-but-still-alive pink dogwood for $5 last week.

Christie, I was wondering if I had bee-yoo-tee-ful weigelas or we were just having a good year. And my mom and I spent half the day at Hilltop last week, on Tuesday. It was my first time there.....what a view!! I wanted to pick up another clematis then proceeded to forget all about it. Duh.

Helen, the white rose is fragrant and the other is supposed to be. The white, being a rugosa, has a spicy scent that I love. Regarding crowding, that was just accident, lol. I have a little sunny perennial garden that I'm packing 'em into!

Thanks everyone!

• gldno1
    13 years ago

We had a multiflora in the side yard! I killed it out and now the jungle of dead thorny branches is there...can't quite figure out how to to that clean up.

I don't see any blooming close by but I know they are in various pastures and fence rows. I probably have them on the back of the farm myself.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gldno, how did you kill your multiflora? My mom has it (and RRD) and wants to kill them. She'd like to avoid getting bloody but that may not be possible.

Perhaps you could grow a pretty vine over the dead multiflora? That's what my parents are doing with some of their brush piles.