Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

photos of Hosta garden Nathanael Greene/Close Park

helenh
12 years ago

Comments (5)

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I remember this garden...my hostas are still in the "holding" bed and have been for so many years....I think I will just call it the Hosta Bed!

Wonder why this one is fenced?

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is often used for wedding and other pictures. Fence is a good idea - Maybe to keep children and dogs from running through and to eliminate goose poo on the walks. It was overrun by young marines having their picture taken at the water feature when I was there. Most were good, but when the large group photo was over, a hoard of young marines ran through the garden. Most were good but a few ran through the beds.

• Violet_Z6
    12 years ago

I remember this garden...my hostas are still in the "holding" bed and have been for so many years... I think I will just call it the Hosta Bed!
    Wonder why this one is fenced?

It is fenced to keep the geese from eating the plants.

Helenh,

The Young Marines were there intentionally. In fact, there is an article on what they did to benefit the Hosta Garden that day:

50 Ozarks Regional Young Marines stormed the Hosta Garden at Close Memorial Park Saturday. In a flurry of activity they planted hundreds of hostas and pulled thousands of weeds. It was a beautiful sight. Once again the marines saved the day. Who are the Ozarks Regional Young Marines? Read more...

Check out the photo album

Here is a link that might be useful: Keep Up with The Gardens

• teeandcee
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful. Thanks for posting them. I love hostas.

• george_deatz_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

The Hosta Garden in Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park and is now part of the Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center & Gardens, 2400 S. Scenic, Springfield, MO.

The 114 acre area is currently home to 26 gardens including the beautiful Hosta Garden. The Greater Ozarks Hosta Society, along with Friends of the Garden, has a number of volunteers who maintain the Hosta Garden for the enjoyment of the public.

You should plan a visit to see not only the Hosta Garden but all of the other gardens and attractions that the center has to offer including the Bill Roston Native Butterfly House, Gray/Campbell Farmstead (1860's, Lake Drummond, miles of walking trails, etc.

For more information on this wonderful garden visit this page and scroll down to the Hosta Garden: http://friendsofthegarden.org/discover/discover/the-gardens

Greater Ozarks Hosta Society: http://friendsofthegarden.org/park-partners/greater-ozarks-hosta-society

For more information on all there is to see and do visit: Friends of the Garden: http://friendsofthegarden.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Friends of the Garden

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner