Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buff Beauty Rose

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 6:57

I thought I would share this with you before I loose it to RRD. It has two affected branches that I keep cutting back trying to save it. It is my all-time favorite rose. It smells heavenly. I have the best luck with hybrid musk class of roses....Albas too but they bloom for a shorter period of time.

photo P1190117_zpsa7ea7012.jpg
 photo P1190116_zps386380c0.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buff Beauty Rose

The close up shows the beautiful color. I like the old fashioned full flower. My mother always spoke of cabbage roses that her grandmother had. What is RRD I think you mentioned it before. Years ago the dairy next place to mine had a rosa multiflora hedge and the birds spread it. They bull dozed the hedge a long time ago. Roses don't last long here because of the disease from the multiflora rose.

o

Helen, it is rose rosette disease. Multiflora rose does cause it since it is the host for the microscopic mite that transmits the disease. Once infected the shoots will be reddish purple and twisty and the flowers are complete malformed. I have to keep the pruners in a bucket of bleach water when pruning between bushes. I forgot last year and spread the disease to almost all of my roses! I hesitate to replace them.

o

I had an orange/buff rose once called Westerland. I liked it very much and wouldn't mind having it again. I also like Dortmond and Eutin. I may be misspelling those. They are roses I've had and lost but liked.

o

I had Westerland too but it didn't survive over the winter and drought. I might replace it and put it in a better place next time.
It is very fragrant too. Chamblee Roses in Texas has great prices and that is where these roses came from.

o

I'll have to be on the lookout for RRD. I haven't had trouble with it yet.
Hope you don't loose your Buff Beauty. Is it possible for it to survive? It's loaded with flowers and very pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here