Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

How are your Blueberries Doing

gldno1
13 years ago

I know Christie has some...don't know about others.

I just have three small plants but they are doing nicely. I did feed them acid food earlier and they are under heavy mulch and near the hydrant. I have an old shade cloth that I will drop over when they start turning color. I will not share this small crop with the birds!

From Fruit

From Fruit

From Fruit

Comments (8)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I'm just happy that mine all lived through the winter. I haven't been thinking about protecting the berries from birds yet.
    I planted a Chandler and Ozarkblue last year in foam pots and left those outside on my patio all winter and I planted two wild blueberries (in the ground) sent to me in a trade from Georgia. I wasn't sure those would be hardy here but they made it through. I also have one Sunshine Blue that I've had for several years in a foam pot that I keep on my patio. It has a lot of little blueberries on it but the leaves are kind of sparse this year so I'm worried about it.
    Ozarkblue has five blueberries and Chandler has zero. My wild ones bloomed later so I can't tell yet.
    I think Ceresone has blueberries too.

Tulle is pretty cheap. Have you ever tried to use that on anything to keep birds away?

• helenh
    13 years ago

I wish I had room for more blueberries. I planted azaleas under the barn roof drips, so there is no more room there. I don't have trouble with birds eating my blueberries, but I have cats who live in the barn. My five predators are catching baby rabbits (3 are dogs) and I scream every time. They drop the rabbit and it hops off, but who knows if they survive.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tulle or that cheap netting would both be good ideas and not so heavy as my cloth. Thanks for that tip.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Let me know if you see bird netting cheap somewhere.
    I already have some tulle that's big enough to put over my Sunshine Blue but I wonder if it will be tough enough. Maybe a determined mockingbird would just tear right through it.
    I think I need to cover my purple leaf sandcherries this year since they have so much fruit. I'm afraid I'll have a thousand little purple seedlings next year if I don't.

• ceresone
    13 years ago

Well, I put 2 in amended ground, and 5 in huge pots.Think its their second year?. Anyhow, the 2 in the ground have a few berries, havent grown much. Two in pots are the small "top hat" made to grow in pots--alive, but thats it. Now, the other 3!!Over 3' tall and absolutely loaded with berries! I've never seen so many berries on a blueberry.
    Every fruit tree is loaded this year too--even the yellow cherry thats only 2 years old. Doubt I have much tho, because of Brown Rot. Its Like Bermuda--needs capital letters!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

christie, JoAnn's Fabrics has nylon netting fabric, 72" wide on sale for .97/yd. It is regularly 1.29. That is probably the cheapest you can find, I think you could overlap it and use clothes pins to fasten it.

• bluesky_girl
    13 years ago

Hi
    I live in St Louis and I've not had success growing blueberries yet. This year I'm going to only raise them in containers. What would you suggest as the ones to buy? Northblue seems to be recommended. I'd like to grown Rubel too. Anyone have success with that ?
    Margie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Margie from St. Louis! I am interested in Rubel too.

My poor scraggly bushes made it through the winter I think....they grew very slowly. Only one seemed to put out some growth from the bases. The jury is still out on whether I can keep them going.

My plan is to feed them with the high acid stuff I have and then re-apply heavy mulch around them and keep my fingers crossed.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH