Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your no-shows this year?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 7:31

Still no sign of my purple milkweed, nor the diahlias that I forgot to dig up that I was hoping would come back anyway since it was so mild.
There are a few things that I've been watching for that looked dead at the end of our horrible summer last year like my pink champagne currant. I was hoping it would surprise me but nope. Ditto for the peony that I planted from my aunt's yard.

Only one of my cardinal flowers came back out of four. Sorry hummingbirds. I tried.

I have been trying every year since the ice storm to get a big patch of woodland phlox going again and planted several little starts from divisons last summer but I think nearly every one of those died plus the mama plant that I took them from. grrr i found a couple little sprigs that lived but they'll be too small to divide this year.

The top is almost completely dead on my native hazelnut. I don't know if it was just the tough weather or if something else is going on.

On the upside - I planted a lot of gaillardia from seed last year and most of those have returned including all three of my Arizona Apricots. : )
My garden phlox came through really well too and this year I will know to watch for phlox bugs before they get out of hand like last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your no-shows this year?

Knowing my no shows would require that I remember all the stuff I planted.

Some or all of the butterfly bushes that I planted late and were sale plants are not shooting out. I have a Japanese maple that appears to be dead on top and shooting out half way down. I had one before that died. Those various colored new coneflowers don't seem to come back for me. That area has a few Echinacea shoots coming up but I think most of them died out. I had a double one another year that didn't last. Sometimes my coneflowers have funny flowers- distorted. I read they have a fatal disease, so I don't know if it is winter or what that gets them. Other no shows may come to me later. The grey headed coneflower and rudbeckia maxima are fine. Echinaceas are what I lose.

I still have your viburnum.
edit The dwarf pampas plume that I bought last year is dead. It was supposed to be hardy to zone 6 but maybe it needed to be established longer before winter. I really liked its look and got one for my neighbor. I hope hers lived because it was pay back for checking on the dogs.

This post was edited by helenh on Wed, May 15, 13 at 15:39

o
RE: What are your no-shows this year?

I have so many different plants it may take me a year to remember what all is gone. This I do know:

two dead rose of Sharon
The old apple tree out back
a peach tree in the garden
some mums
at least three roses
a peony is pinkish and curled?? disease?
so far no persicaria polymorpha
Most all my hostas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here