Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Rain, rain go away....

gldno1
13 years ago

Up to present, we have had 3.5 inches of rain and I am ready for it to end. It will probably be a week before I can plant things...getting a little late.

How about the rest of you?

Comments (18)

• beerhog
    13 years ago

Has rained and stormed all around me. I am still dragging the water hose around.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I'm swamped. I could use a week without. I've still got a lot of plants to get in the ground but this ground drains pretty fast. By the looks of my forecast it will be tuesday or wednesday before I can start planting again.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

We've gotten more than enough here and there's more on the way. I really don't want my basement to flood. Things have been hectic enough here lately.

I hate it when it's raining in the morning and the dogs need to go out. Jackson went to the door, saw the rain and cowered back in. Chloe doesn't mind the rain but she won't go out by herself. She wants another dog to go with her, so she stands on the porch and barks at the other two. Shasta is terrified of thunder and usually refuses to go out even after it's quit raining.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I love storms, but they're wreaking havoc on my once blooming roses. The Knockouts will rebloom, but if my once-bloomers get ruined I'll have to wait till next year. Sigh.

Christie, do we have the same dogs, lol? Sausage hates the rain and brakes to a full-on stop if he sees it when I open the door. Circus Bear doesn't mind the rain but is afraid to go out alone. Sooooo....I have to go out into the yard and lure them out while getting soaked myself. In my jammies. Before my coffee.

• jaceysgranny
    13 years ago

You can send the rain this way. We put out some tick granules and need a rain to soak them in.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I see that others here are being controlled by pets. Annie was a basket case last night because of the thunder and she didn't want to go out this morning. The boys never come inside because they refuse to bathe.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This will probably take care of the iris and the peonies. The iris have been blooming for quite a while but the peonies were just starting......happens almost every year.

I thought Arkansas was getting these rains too. Hope you get some soon.

Glenda

• Marian_2
    13 years ago

Hi ! It has been a while since I posted here. We have been getting recurring downpours for a week now. I am getting pretty sick of it, and wish it could have been spread out over the coming weeks.I am afraid that when it stops we will be hollering for rain !It is either feast or famine here. Thank God we live where we do not have any danger of flooding, and no low water bridges to cross.It is raining as I post, and has been for hours!
    Glenda, my poor Iris and Peonies look like wet rags ! They started off with an exceptionally good crop of blooms this spring, now they are so bedraggled!

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

Yep, every morning my Circus Bear is hiding under the coffee table in fear.

I noticed last year all the peonies I saw locally got ruined by rain but thought it was a fluke. Just last week I was thinking of trying a couple but won't if this is typical. This is only my second year of gardening here so I'm still learning.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I will be gone for a week so I was going to mow just before we left. I will either have to mow wet grass or come back to a jungle. I have several 100+ gallon stock tanks saving water for later all full now. The rains were missing me like last year until the last two days, so I'm glad to have the moisture. Now it can stop.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marian, mine too! I went out this morning to check and most are laying on the ground.

The two peach trees were almost on the ground too just from the weight of the rain on them. I thinned some more and was soaked through when I came in.

I want to see some sun!

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Still raining here. Yesterday my HDTV quit working after a thunderstorm and power outage. I was using it as a monitor also. Just when I started thinking..everything I have is paid for..BAM..more debt. This 14" CRT monitor is for the birds.

• jaceysgranny
    13 years ago

Last night it stormed here. Andy, one of our Maltese, is terrified. He was walking around on my head and finally settled down on my pillow with his front feed on my throat. He would like for me to come downstairs and sleep on the couch with him but I don't plan on it. Before my dad moved in with us a couple of months ago our room was downstairs and I would move in there for him just so I could get some sleep. But you gotta love 'em!

• alicesmiles
    13 years ago

Missouri , here. rain rain rain. where is the sun???? yard is so wet, grass growing by leaps and bounds, Basement leaking...shop vac time... uck.... good luck to all.If you see the sun give it a big HI...

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

So sorry about your basement Alice. Been there done that and it's a big job.
    Sounds like you haven't been getting much sleep Jaceysgranny.
    I was looking forward to some sunshine this week but they've updated the forecast to include more rain.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

The sun is out here this morning. Shhh....nobody move!

I've got a hammock chair I've been waiting to hang. I assume the wood I'm hanging it on (bottom of upstairs deck) needs to dry out so I'm crossing my fingers.

I've got weeds to weed, plants to plant, and some roses on the way.

I'm also delighted to discover a shady but bright area that I can put in another shade garden. I LOVE shade gardening.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here it has been bright sun, then shade. I need to get out this afternoon and mow...........but once again waiting on a electrician to show up.

• ladycraft
    13 years ago

Bad news there is more headed in our direction! Guess it is better than what some folks have gotten! I just go out and work between showers. But hate mudding things in. Things are blooming in the starter containers.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?