Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

Perennial Petunias?

ceresone
14 years ago

Well, not really perennial, but ones that reseed. I used to have a deep purple petunia for years in a pot by the drive-but shortly after my sis told me that petunias don't reseed anymore--I lost it!

I suppose ignorance WAS bliss, but I suppose I would have lost it anyway.

Does anyone have old fashioned petunias that reseed each year?

Comments (6)

• helenh
    14 years ago

I had some that reseeded for a few years. They were Laura Bush from Wildseed Farms in Texas. They don't smell nice but they are pretty tough. This spring I planted some winter sown poppy seedlings in a pot not cleaned out from last year. I put a punch bowl upside down over them as a cloche and petunias from last year came up in a circle where the bowl was.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Yes, I had a retaining wall and fence along the alley at my last house and every year the petunias from seed I had grown there the first year came back and hung down the wall. It was lovely. They were dark pink and smelled very "petuniaeee" in the heat of the garden. I love that scent. Also, the "Everlasting Cleome" seedlings went to neighborhood gardens every year. We all depended on them reseeding through the mulch.
    Sunny

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I have had reseeding petunias for years. Don't know what kind they are as the seed was given to me. They do smell good though. I went looking for them recently and this year have only a few. Don't have many poppies or larkspur either and have seen no zinnias and cleome yet which have always reseeded for me.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I only plant the reseeding ones. They started out as a vining one from Select Seeds and then I got a dark purple one that also self seeds. I have them coming up by the gazillions around were they were planted. I will be happy to save seeds for you this year if you want. They are now a mix of purple, lavenders, whites and some multi-colored ones.

glenda

• ceresone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Yes, Yes, Glenda, I would love to have seeds again. It seemed that as soon as I found out that all didn't reseed, I lost mine. Thanks so much.
    I think they're breeding out some of the best virtues by improving plants.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

This is from last year:
    {{gwi:1111974}}

Here is another one from 2006

{{gwi:194139}}

Some of the seedlings are already about 5 inches tall and some are just barely up.

All the pictures are from self-seeding. I should have some pictures of dark purples that I know I had last year by the patio but I don't find any.

Be glad to save seeds......they will be blends because they cross-breed.