Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Blooming at Last

gldno1
11 years ago

I planted this Jackmanii Superba clematis maybe three years ago. Of course, I cut it down accidentally a couple of times which set it back.

Finally this year I have blooms!

Comments (6)

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Beautiful! The flowers look pretty big. Do you have a regular Jackmanii to compare it to?

Is there a lighter purple clematis below it in the photo? Which one is that? It's a pretty color.

I have two others besides Jackmanii and don't know the names of either. One is a dark purply red and the other is sort of pink and white. Neither one performs as well as Jackmanii but I do get a few flowers every year.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think they are just regular size blooms.

Yes that is a very pale clematis that is behind my Buff Beauty rose at the front of the house. It is Blue Angel.

I think I have 10 different ones.

At one time I knew all the names but would have to dig in files to try to figure them out now.

• helenh
    11 years ago

You have you clematis in a ideal spot. The two colors compliment each other and look very pretty. I have clematis trailing on the ground in weeds this year. When the tree people came last winter to remove the walnut tree, I moved the trellises and arches and never put them back.

• dowbright
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I inherited a robust clematis (Jackmanii?) at our new place. It bloomed far longer than I ever knew a clematis could. There's also another one that doesn't seem to be in a good location. I was sad to leave my white clematis at home. I don't know the variety, but it bloomed in late summer with bursts of abundant cloudy white.

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

The fall blooming cleamtis was probably Sweet Autumn Clematis, which I love, but some people have trouble with it throwing seeds around and having to weed out seedlings. My mother and daughter both have multiple seedlings. My daughter and I both brought seedlings from Mom's and mine never has produced seedlings. It's a puzzle to me as they both seem to bloom well and produce seeds.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

It might be bad luck to post that your Sweet Autumn Clematis hasn't reseeded. lol I'm scratching my head about my mimosa tree which has only produced one seedling so far even though it's been blooming for a few years now. My parents got thousands of seedlings from theirs. I know it's gonna happen. It's just waiting until it's too big to cut down.

Dowbright - You're lucky to get a long blooming clematis. Sounds like a keeper. I don't think mine blooms as long as it should.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm