Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Hydrangea buds!

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

Looks like my hydrangeas are enjoying all this rain and since we didn't really get a late freeze this year, I think they're going to BLOOM. Yay!

Two of mine are young and would've been old enough to bloom last year but we had that horrible late freeze so they didn't bloom at all. I started them from cuttings taken from my mother's hydrangeas who got them from an elderly lady so they're an older variety but I don't know what they are. My mother usually gets a mix of colors - pink, blue and in-between.

One is a 'Forever Pink' that I've had for several years but it's had exactly one bloom cluster on it every year since I planted it. It's a beautiful dark pink in color but just doesn't do well in our climate I guess. Yesterday I could see three places where buds were forming, so at least THIS year it's going to have more flowers.

The fourth one is just a florist hydrangea that I got for Mother's Day a long time ago and it's the one that I've had the longest. I'm sure it's not well adapted to our climate either but except for last year, it always has a few blooms.

My Annabelle and Oakleaf hydrangeas have lots of buds too. I'm looking forward to all the flowers.

Is it going to be an especially good year for hydrangeas?

Comment (1)