Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyside1_gw

All this rain coming --

sunnyside1
10 years ago

Don't forget your plants may need to be fertilized after we receive all the rain -- heavy rain washes out soil nutrients.
Sunny

Comments (9)

• helenh
    10 years ago

I got a very welcome .8 inch last night. It was dry here and I had been watering because I only got . 35 inch in the last round of storms. Beau ran in the door again and is in the hall. I see some dark clouds but no storms yet. Beau is a little big and stinky for a house dog.

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, that's good, Helen. This summer you don't need to worry about a going-dry well.

I put flea/tick meds on Katy today. We have a terrible tick problem here -- I can't get near anything without getting some on me. Have been pulling ticks off me for days and days. They are very small "seed ticks" and last night I found one between my toes. Sandals. Yikes. Fortunately, they seem to have a heavy step and I can feel one crawling on me, trying to find a good spot. I wish they and fleas had never been invented!

Beau is a good boy. He deserves to come in when he can get in.
    Sunny

• helenh
    10 years ago

I got 2 inches yesterday. At one point it was coming down very fast. We are in the severe weather purple spot on the weather channel today. They showed the big red area of threatening weather that covers a band across the middle of USA and other colors for danger. We were in the very worst color.

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

We got 2 1/2 inches but it looked like they got more than that a little to the north. We saw several places where the roads had water running across them. I've been rearranging my basement all afternoon, trying to make sure there's nothing down on the floor that would be damaged if it got wet since they are predicting a lot more rain. We should be ok as long as our sump pump works like it should. I included my sump pump in my prayers today. lol It's a lot of work to clean up even a little bit of water.

• gldno1
    10 years ago

Helen, sure glad you missed that horrible tornado that hit Oklahoma. I don't know how much those poor people can take.

Christie, I hope your basement stayed dry!

We have had over three inches of rain over the last two days.
    I had watered parts of the garden so it should be really soaked.

I picked the first strawberries two days ago and need to check them today. Ripe berries and rain don't mix well.

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I picked snow peas yesterday and saw all the blossoms on the tomatoes. Oboy, I can hardly wait for tomatoes!

Had 2-1/4 inches in the rain gauge this morning. Didn't seem to have been any wind, as no small branches down. Our Joplin sirens went off several times, but not the close Silver Creek siren. Intellicast didn't seem to be it's usual efficient self last night so I just kept the TV on and switched among WeatherChannel and all the local stations. Slept in my clothes, again. The lightning didn't seem to be very close this time.

Let's try to enjoy all this water -- in August we'll be fondly remembering this rain.

Hope everyone got through these last few days unscathed.
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

We got another 2.8 inches Friday night/Saturday morning but my basement stayed dry. I don't think the sump pump ever even kicked on. I'm going to leave everything where it is though to be ready for the next round of rain later this week.
    Sunny I love snow peas. That's something I keep saying I'm going to try growing but never have.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

The storms passed by us with no incident, tho the sirens kept going off Friday night. We did get over 6" of rain Thursday and Friday. Too wet to work outside, we live on a hill but the paths are all flooded with no place for all that water to go!

The plants are sure loving it, growing like weeds. And so are the weeds!

Sandy

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought about you, Sandy, and hoped you were okay on your hill. The storm was hairy, but not as bad as the one before, I think.

Christie, this is the first year I have had any luck with snow peas. Only because I didn't make much effort in other years -- just planted and then put up a little metal something for them to grow on. And they didn't ever do well. But this year I pulled out some sort of trellis which I stretched between two metal stakes. It's white and stretchy with 4 or 5 inch holes. The peas seemed to notice the difference and really took off up the netting. So much so that they outgrew the 4 ft stakes and I had to put 6 ft wooden stakes and run a line across for the peas to drape over. Called Edible Podded Peas, but I have never seen anything like them. I planted enough to go across the 4 ft bed and I have already picked three messes.

Hope you'll give it a try next year, as they are perfectly delicious.
    Sunny

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting