Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cape Fuchsia (phygelius)

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 07 at 9:34

Has anyone tried to winter over cape fuchsia in the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cape Fuchsia (phygelius)

I thought I posted about your phygelius yesterday, but don't see it.

I didn't even know what it was until I was reading an old Fine Gardening magazine and there were two of them in a garden in Washington. They are gorgeous! What color is yours?

BTW, I can over-winter whhat is listed as zones 7 & 8 Black and Blue Salvia, so looks like the phygelius would be possible at Zone 7. It would probably depend on where you had it located and how much mulch. Might be risky.

o

I got one called 'Devil's Tears' from K-Mart on S. Campbell in Springfield. It looks bright red in some of the photos I've seen on the web but it's not that red. The blooms hang down and the part you DON'T see is bright red with a yellow throat. The part you DO see is more of a dull red so I can't tell yet whether it's going to be showy. If it winters over and gets large it may be. The flowers have a lot of nectar in them so I mostly bought it for the hummingbirds but they haven't found it yet.
Here's a photo of the same cultivar from the web. I haven't taken a picture of mine yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phygelius 'Devil's Tears'

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 13:20

So Christie, how did it do ? I bought one yesterday and really really wondered about performance here in Z6b.

Mine is Tie Die Radiant Red...sounded like a hummingbirds wet dream.

o

I don't recall that mine wintered over but to be honest I had completely forgotten about it since that was several years ago....and I'm old. It's supposed to be hardy to zone 7 so it might make it there with a little luck.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, May 16, 14 at 19:28

Well, I had to ask....I'll report back if I'm in any way pleased with it (summer heat or survival till next year).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here