Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

What kind of brush killer do you use?

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I'm still trying to kill some trees that we cut down after the ice storm in 2007. One is a hybrid poplar that we had cut down in our front yard. We had the stump completely ground out but sprouts starting coming up by the dozens from the roots extending out in all directions into the yard as much as 15 feet away from where the trunk was. I sprayed and pulled up sprouts all summer. Then I decide to try letting the sprouts around the trunk area grow a little before spraying to see if that would help - it didn't - so now we have a three foot hybrid poplar BUSH in our front yard. I've used regular Round-Up with less water than it calls for and this spring tried Ortho (I think) Brush Killer but it doesn't look like it's dying to me.

We also have a couple hedge trees and a mulberry tree in our old fence row that were cut down but not ground out that are sending up lots of sprouts. The new branches on the hedge trees are very thorny so I really need to get those under control. I've sprayed brush killer on them but also bought some stump killer that I haven't tried yet.

I need to take a picture of a couple of weed clumps that I've been trying to kill too. I've sprayed with Round-Up and they keep getting bigger. I don't know what it is. Very stubborn though. It has broad green leaves coming out from the base.

Comments (2)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

christie an old farm trick is to cut the brush as close to the ground as you can and spray, brush or pour diesel fuel on it. It works wonders, even kills out osage orange. I don't spray, just pour or mop it on. Don't use so much that is runs out into the yard; just the cut portions of the tree or brush.

• justuscountryfolks
    15 years ago

Christie, I had my fence rows cleaned last fall and need to spray to keep the hedges and underbrush from growing back. Local co-op recommended a product by the name of PastureGard (Dow Chemical product). I do not need an applicator license to use it and was told that it should do the job that I want. I have not applied it as of this day because I am waiting on some of the stumps to sprout additional leaves. Should be ready in 2 or 3 weeks. Can't tell you how effective it will be but the information I found on-line on PastureGard appears favorable. It is in no way cheap as 1 gallon cost me $52.00. The mixing ratio is shown on the container. Down here all chemicals recently took a huge jump. Gas keeps on getting closer to the $4.00 mark. It just went up today to 3.67 gallon most name brands. Been reading about all the severe weather in your parts. Hope things settle down soon.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm