Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Tree blooming with clusters of pink flowers ???

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I pass a yard on my way to town that has three trees blooming with clusters of pink flowers hanging down. I think they've been in bloom for at least a couple weeks now. Any idea what they might be?

Comments (6)

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

Christie,I wonder if they are sweet pea trees.I thought they were a locust but can't find them under that name.We had them years ago and they are very pretty when they bloom but come up all over the yard.I think I dug them out.They made mowing almost impossible.They don't get very big.Posy Pet

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Posy Pet. I think you might be on the right track. I've been looking up different kinds of locust trees and the flowers are similar. I'll check out the leaves next time I go by there. I can't recall how big the trees are but I don't think they're small like a dogwood. The flowers are pretty showy and light pink and the flower clusters are several inches long. I bet their tree is suckering also. That would explain why they have three so close together. Maybe I can take a picture.
    It's ok to stop in the middle of the road and take a picture of a tree right. lol

• pauln
    15 years ago

Try to look up this tree.

Rose-Acacia, (Robinia hispida) aka Bristly Locust. Same genus as the honey locust.

There's a fairly rare ornamental whose name escapes me that has large clusters of pink flowers.

Other options may include Paulownia, Chinaberry.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

If it is the same Robinias that we see in the yard of an now abandened house on our way out to the highway, they are very invasive! Beautiful, but invasive. Thay have taken over the entire front yard. They are probably no taller than 8'.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think these are the same because they're quite a bit taller but I took a second look and there are more than I thought, I think at least 10 of varying sizes. I got a better look at the leaves too and they definitely look like some kind of locust. The tallest trees are maybe 30 feet or more, but some are small. It's either suckering or reseeding. Either way, I don't think I'll stop and ask for a start. lol

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is a little late but I finally got my pics put on the computer so I might as well post it.