Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forsythia

Posted by pomonaflower (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 11:26

Two years ago I planted three Forsythia shrubs along our lot line. One was from a nursery and the other two cost $1 each at an Aldi grocery store. Last fall, the "nursery" shrub re-bloomed and I have no idea why. This spring, the re-bloomer is bone- bare, no leaves, no flowers. The $1 shrubs are lush, green and flowered like crazy.

I'm thinking the nursery shrub is gone and, luckily, the others have some "rooters" I can put in its place but I'd sure like to know what happened and why. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forsythia

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 14:09

No telling....but there is a last ditch effort to flower and reproduce sometimes.

o
RE: Forsythia

Forsythia will sometimes bloom a bit in the fall. I don't know what causes that. We had a colder winter than we have had in several years. I think all my crepe myrtle will be coming up from the bottom. Plants that made it through winter for years have been damaged this year. If you like your bargain forsythia, it is easy to propagate. You can take cuttings and keep them watered until the small plants have a root system. Or you can bend some branches down weight them down with a rock and the branch will probably grow roots. We are in a drought. Small plants take more care so if you do this keep them watered. Some improved varieties of forsythia have larger brighter flowers so you may want to invest in an improved one. The cost of a small shrub of something as easy as forsythia may be worth it. The ones from the grocery store may be fine though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here