Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Fruit Report

gldno1
13 years ago

Strawberries are beginning. I picked about 2 quarts a couple of days ago and must get out when the plants are dry to pick again.

Blueberries are getting blue; covered with my shade cloth, but want to buy some netting like you suggested, Christie. I don't want to shade out any sun and the cloth I am using does. May get it later today.

Blackberries are getting a faint reddish tinge

Red Haven peaches are growing larger with a red cast to the skin already. Second tree is growing much slower

I am afraid I may loose some fruit trees to fireblight. I trim almost daily but that doesn't seem to control it. I should have used a spray from early in the season but understood it isn't always successful. I think our cold, cloudy, rainy weather created perfect environment for it.

I do hope we get a few pears but it isn't looking promising at this point. The summer apple is affected and the Grimes Golden too.

Apricots are still looking wonderful. They fall off the tree before you can pickthem. I kind of like that because I know then they are perfectly ripe. I plan to put down a few bales of clean straw on the concrete and then lock the calves out of the lot. I think sometime in late June they should be ready.

Comments (3)