Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

May Gardening Activity thread

teeandcee
12 years ago

Are we doing this again this year? I really enjoyed these threads previously. So, I'll start. :D

I put in some melampodium today. I LOVE it. I scattered the plants around but after looking online I think I'll dig them up and plant in threes as I think I like them better grouped.

Also got amsonia and the Firecracker goldenrod I got at the Master Gardeners' sale planted along with several heirloom tomatoes a friend gave me and a Little Spire Russian sage. I plan on freezing and/or canning up a pile of tomatoes this year.

I can only do a little at at time due to back problems but that's okay as I think I like it better this way.

What have you all been up to?

Comments (41)

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I'm game for the thread.

Today, I went to Hilltop Farms to get Mother's day gift for my MIL and me. Christie, was right; they have a great variety and the prices are quite good.

I found all the herbs I wanted to complete a dedicated herb garden, two kinds of thyme, a yellow variegated sage, rosemary and oregano.
    I will be going back in June for more clematis ($9.50 each).
    They had Will Goodwin that I lost a few years ago and several others I don't have.

They offer coupons each week on their website which I printed and took along. Of course I didn't use it for the hanging basket but did get my free tuberous begonia.

We had other errands so I probably won't do any actual outside gardening today. Yesterday I planted broccoli plants and tilled the garden. I also finished cleaning the Garage Wall Border.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I am still juggling plants that I have already hardened off but got unhardened when I had to protect them from the rain and cold. Some I am potting up to bigger pots and some I am planting in the ground or in their permanent pots. The petunias are declining because of being too wet so I have been sticking them in everywhere I can find some bare soil. I have pulled a ton of weeds and have big piles of them. I have winter damage to tops of shrubs and did some trimming but I am hoping some will still shoot out. It got really really cold here in my valley in early Feb.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

I don't know if this is a good idea Teeandcee. Threads like this always make me feel like I haven't accomplished much. lol There are some hard working gardeners that visit this forum.

I planted Insuk's Wang Kong runner beans today. I think they'll do well if they just don't get eaten before they get a chance to grow. They're supposed to be more heat tolerant than other runner beans.
    I planted four little butterfly weed seedlings (winter sowed) a few days ago and two of them have already disappeared. From the slimy trails, I think slugs got them. I have more every year. The rest of my winter sowed seedlings are still in containers.

I've been pulling lots of weeds though you can hardly tell it by looking at my yard.

I didn't know about the coupons on Hilltop's website. I had one from the Lawn and Garden show but forgot to take it with me. If gas wasn't so high, I would've driven back home to get it.

I have some shrubs with winter dieback too. My nandina looks awful. It normally doesn't get any damage. My crape myrtles are leafing out a little but only at the bottom so far. Are yours waking up yet Glenda? I have a lilac that hasn't leafed out yet. I just planted it last spring. I'm pretty sure it's alive, just being stubborn for some reason.

• ceresone
    12 years ago

Christie, I imagine when you "stack" everything up that you do in a day's time, you'd find out how busy you are.
    Myself, I don't think I'll ever get a garden in! I have 2 of my raised beds in Strawberries, and I have one crowded with all I've managed to get in the ground. The area thats not built yet, I was going to no-till plant, but SIL decided I needed it plowed, which he did once--and it may be July before he can finish it, after out 20" of rain.
    In the meantime, my deck is filled with the sorriest transplants I've ever seen. Too much water, and no sun!!
    Meanwhile, I'm planting some of my Dahlias in pots, that are going to be set into the ground. Not enough pots, or I'd do all of them this way. Come fall, I just have to pull pots and put in the garage.
    Would you say I was lazy? or just saving time and labor?

• gldno1
    12 years ago

Christie, you must remember many of us are older gardeners; no children at home to see after and run to and fro for school activities. Many of us have more time to spend gardening.

They have new coupons weekly (I think); just check their website before you go again.

Ceresone, I am stunned by your rainfall. I had no idea you had so much. We are much, much drier here but we need some warmth and sunshine.

I still have lots of weeding to do and haven't even begun to till the new garden. Hopefully I can do that Monday if the rains aren't too heavy.

I was cleaning the milk parlor this morning after milking and found a package of Red Benary Giant zinnias......no wonder I can't find seeds when I need them. I have no idea how it got under that shelf! I will be planting it this afternoon to see if they are still good.

Back to Hilltop....she is an interesting person.............
    A customer asked her about petunias and she said all she had were Wave and Wave-type. The woman asked her why she didn't grow the others and she said because they are trash!
    Well, I couldn't let that one pass. I told her I actually preferred the old-fashioned vining ones that once you planted you were through. She knew about them, but didn't comment much. Of course, they want to sell new plants each year. Were you prepared for her final question of the day?
    It took me by surprise.

Helen, I finally set all flats outside yesterday late and left them out. Thankfully, the rains were very light and the shady day is actually good for hardening off.

I might plant some sweet corn later today.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christie, if it makes you feel any better I did no other gardening all week prior to what I mentioned in this thread, and today I'm popping out to put in maybe two plants (I'm trying to do a wee bit each day).

This year I'm mixing my veggies and herbs (first time growing herbs) in with my perennials/annuals rather than dedicating one area to them. I've got tomatoes growing up the privacy fence and will be growing cucumbers and a melon there also.

I may ride out to Hilltop today.

Glenda, I adore the old-fashioned petunias. Are they easy to start from seed?

• gldno1
    12 years ago

Yes, they are very easy. Strangely, I am not seeing any so far this year. I have had them going for several years....may have to get seeds again if none show up.

Be sure to go to their website and print out the coupons. If you spend $20 you get a free tuberous begonia.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I don't like wave petunias at all. My favorite modern type petunia is Supertunia bubblegum pink because I can grow it and it looks nice for a long time. I can not make petunias look like those big hanging baskets with loads of flowers. What gets me is the city of Joplin had beautiful baskets of petunias last year on the hot street and they looked good a long time. I might not fertilize enough. I hit another plant sale today. Plants weren't cheap but the cause was good. They are working on community gardens for Crosslines among other things. I have plants out my ears and every hole I dig is a major excavation of rocks which I haul to my barn that floods when it rains. I should be thankful my knees and back work for me most of the time.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I could have sworn I replied to this. Anyway, Helen, I feel your rock-digging pain. I've found a rock pick works better for hole digging if you're planting anything larger than a quart.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I did a garden walk early this morning and then rounded up my tools, the mower with the cart, the hoes, seeds, etc.

I planted a small patch of sweet corn Bodacious. I also thinned part of the lettuce. I can't believe I planted the seed so thickly! What a waste.

We had to run a couple of errands so that did it for me for working outside today. I might go back out very late afternoon.

I want to plant a few tomato plants. This is a little early for me, but I have enough to risk it.

There is a very hot wind blowing....not good for new transplants!

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Oboy -- today my daughter comes to help me in the yard. Every year an afternoon of labor is part of my Mother's Day gift and it's so fun to plant, paint, etc. together.

I mowed the whole yard today and bought more plants -- you're right --hot wind is not good for transplants, so most of the plants are still in part sun on the driveway. Maybe I'll get them planted Wednesday if it really will rain.

Had to have an old dogwood cut down today, but kept an upright trunk about 6 ft. high in the ground for some creative reason or another. When I decide what do do with it, I'll post a photo.

I'm into all the uses for comfrey this year and just planted three new plants. I do know not to ingest it, but want to make a poultice for tendonitis. It's a beautiful plant and the compost loves it.
    Sunny

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The only thing I've gotten done in the last few days is my shade garden partially mulched. It's small so that's not a big accomplishment. It's a busy week though in other areas.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I mowed the east yard today. Dug a cart load of perennials to take to our DIL. Watered the Kitchen Garden; yes, watered!
    We didn't get nearly the rain areas south of I-44 did and this hot wind had dried things out. I also wanted to get the corn to sprout quickly and revive the thinned lettuce.

I planted a few tomato and basil plants and cucumber seeds.

I did move the correct red iris to the Grace Smoke Tree Bed. Somehow I ended up with a purple red, not the real red. I just dug a clump of blooming reds so I know I got it right this time.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I want to see a picture of this really red iris. I got 8 inches of rain back when it rained so much but my ground is gravelly and dries out. I am fighting Johnson grass where my tomatoes should go.

• ceresone
    12 years ago

Monday the 16th--wonderful day for weeding! On the way back from the barn, I wandered thru the garden--and weeded the 2 strawberry beds. Curly dock, that has a 2' tap root, came out by pulling, course I had to use both hands--but that got me started. Weeded both beds, and have a load of mulch setting there to apply.
    Seeds aren't up yet, need the sun, thats shining today.
    Two rows of corn, row of lima beans, and a few others.
    did you know deer will climb into a 2' raised bed?? Should have expected it, I guess, Neighbor saw a fawn playing on my deck one night!!
    tomatoes look good--William, I'm trying Black From Tula again.
    Dahlias look good, I started some early, and transplanted them, ones I didn't pre start aren't up yet.
    Can you believe its supposed to be 39 degrees tonight??
    Don't work too hard everyone.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I had to make bread today so didn't get outside to garden.

I just brought back inside 4 flats of basil, peppers, tomatoes and eggplant.. I sure don't want to loose them to a late frost or get them too chilled.

I sure hope this is the last of the cold nights.

BTW, all three of the W-M dahlias that I didn't dig are up about 18" now! I think my purple one finally didn't return,but I got lots of years out of it.

• ceresone
    12 years ago

Got up before the sun came up--and washed frost off the garden--latest I ever remember having frost was on May 12--and here it is May 17.
    Weeded both strawberry beds and mulched 3/4 of them, have to get more mulch to finish.
    going to get corn gluten meal for the garden next-hoping to keep weeds down
    corn, beans, late peas, squash not up yet, going to plant a couple hills of zucchini today-

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

frost? oh my!
    2nd day of hardening off peppers (68), tomatoes (about 60), cucumber, eggplant, etc. Not a fan of moving plants in and out, in and out. But its a necessity. Wish the wind wasnt so hard on them.
    Pulled weeds by hand and hoed. Sprinkled preen in those flower beds after weeding.
    Got lots of beautiful iris from my 96 year old aunt a few days ago. Trying to plan a couple new beds for the iris and lots of winter sown perenials (I over sowed) yikes
    Got the tiller fired up and got 2 of the veggie plots tilled. They had layers of leaves, compost, coffee grounds, manure, etc. Getting better soil each year :)
    Doubled the size of the veggie beds this year so more ammending is in order.
    Robins didnt seem to mind the tiller...happy to get help finding worms.
    love to smell the soil :)

• helenh
    12 years ago

I planted more tomatoes and put asparagus in pots because I couldn't find a good spot for them. There is no use planting asparagus where there is Bermuda, Johnson Grass or bindweed. So I will use Round UP and try to make a place for the asparagus later.

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

Helen, thats why I've not attempted to grow asparagus...WEEDS
    Is it possible to grow it in pots and never put it in the ground?

Oh Glenda, that makes me wish for homemade bread...love the smell :)

• helenh
    12 years ago

The pots are temporary; I don't know if they would overwinter in pots or not. I have done this before; they are attractive in pots. I put a few flowers in with them but not anything that will crowd them- signet marigolds and salvia just a few plants in big pots. I am buying time until I can prepare a really good place.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, y'all have been busy. I helped a friend plant a small garden in her back yard Sunday. That was a lot of fun and it turned out beautiful.

Today, May 18, I counted up the plants I still have to get in the ground. I have 60!! So, I jumped in and did a combat planting mission and got 10 of them planted. That's a major accomplishment for me and my back plus I had to save some energy for regular stuff like housework.

I picked up a GORGEOUS 'Blue Shadow' fothergilla and got it in the front garden bed. It's in with a candy pink Knockout, variegated Solomon's Seal, variegated weigela, and some boxwoods. The blue leaves on the fothergilla look beautiful mixed in. I'm delighted with it.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I finally was able to plant 28 tomato plants this morning, but I still have egg plant and peppers and another 14 tomatoes to get out. I have to take it in short spurts these days.

My asparagus row is full of weeds. This year when I cut down the tops, I have plans to mulch it heavily with manure/straw and then flakes of old hay. Maybe that will feed the asparagus and cut down on the weeds. Mine had much smaller stalks this year so it needs something.

teeandcee, isn't is great when a bed comes together the way you want. It is usually an accident if that happens here.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Glenda, I've read you can use corn gluten meal on asparagus spring and fall and the grass seeds won't sprout. Every year I forget to do this, but will try to remember this fall.
    Sunny

• helenh
    12 years ago

This is a good cloudy day for setting out plants. We are supposed to have cloudy partly cloudy for a few days so your newly set out tomatoes should do well. I got corn gluten meal the day I took animals to the vet and it rained before I got it out of the truck. I guess that doesn't hurt since I am putting it outside away. I haven't spread it all; dogs eat it. But since my dog eats shoes and TV remote controllers that is no surprise.

• ceresone
    12 years ago

What does everyone pay for Corn Gluten meal? feed store ordered mine and it was 23 dollars for 50#
    It will only work on seeds to retard germination, and only last 3 months--or so I've read. Lasted not quite 3 months on my onions.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, Glenda, 28 plants is taking it slow for you? I want you to come over and help me! :D

Yes, my beds generally turn out well out of sheer accident.

I agree, Helen. Nice days for planting.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I paid $9 for 50 pounds but mine has other things in it. The label reads Corn Gluten. Ingredients corn gluten, corn hulls, corn bran. Maybe yours is pure corn gluten. When you ordered they probably charged you shipping. The feed store in Anderson MO had it on their list of products posted behind the counter. I don't know what animals farmers feed it to but it seemed to be a common product. This is what I used before and I thought it did inhibit weeds.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can you all believe crabgrass is popping up through about 4 inches of mulch? I'm beginning to believe that %^#@(*! stuff is indestructible! But I shall persevere and be victorious! (if it kills me).

I put in a few more plants this morning. I think I'm down to 45 to go. I'd love to finish them this coming week but just don't know if my back will cooperate.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I planted pots for my friend's patio. I put Anaheim peppers in one pot, and melampodium with a canna in one for the sun. Two were for shade. I put in caladiums, impatiens, wandering jew (Tradescantia zebrina), and canna rhizomes.

• ceresone
    12 years ago

teeandcee,are you sure its crabgrass?Thats what i thought i had, until Scott's had me send them a sample--thats how i found out mine was Bermuda. he told me crabgrass was easy to kill--but good luck on killing out Bermuda--that it spread by seeds runners and roots. and that the roots could go down 8'.
    good luck on eradicating whichever it is.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ceresone, I've been growing more and more suspicious that I may be dealing with Bermuda. And more horrified. Based on pics online it's been difficult to tell which it is.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

tee, if you pull up a piece of the grass and the root is long and whitish with knots here and there, you probably have Bermuda Grass! I have it everywhere and it just gets worse....the only place I don't see it is in the new orchard/garden area.

I was able to go out yesterday and plant (in too wet ground)some salvias, vinca and the rest of the basil. I tucked the basil along the row of tomatoes.

We got another inch of rain overnight so I doubt I can do any more planting today.

I hope to find a heavy pot for my variegated begonia which has fallen over so many times it is now lopsided. At least I can do that.

Christie, I took my trimmer back to Ash G. Hdwe and it still won't start! I have lost confidence in them. I am going to look for the new E-Z start model. I need to trim badly. I may head back to Precision Small Engine at Bolivar.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

>>

Well, it's Bermuda then. I looked closer today even before reading this and determined it's Bermuda with some crabgrass in my shade garden. After reading your description I'm certain. You know, I used to feel real sorry for y'all when you'd complain about your Bermuda. Now I'm feeling sorry for myself too. ARG.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Teeandcee it just wouldn't be fair if the rest of us had to deal with Bermuda and you didn't. : ) Kaye mentioned a long time ago some stuff that she uses for Bermuda grass that only kills the Bermuda and not other plants. I need to look that up again and try it. I have a couple beds that I need to use it in where I have perennials planted. It would be too much work to dig up the perennials, kill the Bermuda grass and then replant.

Glenda - I'm tempted to try out an electric trimmer if I knew for sure that they would let me return it and get a gas one if I hate it. The Stihl electic one says it can be used with a 200 foot extension cord. They're lighter and vibrate less. I wonder if it would seem just as heavy if you're dragging around an extension cord that long though. And I wonder what would happen with a longer cord or rather three one-hundred foot cords connected together. I wouldn't want to start a fire. The EZ start Stihl would be nice but I think it's close to $200. I should buy that for my hubby for Father's Day. Do you think that he would suspect that it's actually more for me? lol

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know, Christie, I know, lol. I sure was enjoying my good luck though. Cursed Bermuda!

I asked my husband the other day what he thought of my getting a blowtorch to burn the springs as I see them. I Round-up them as does my mower guy but it grows faster than we can keep up. Hubby wasn't thrilled with the idea of me outside torching things. :D

I read that it does no good to Round-up Bermuda this time of year as right now it's living off nutrients from last year. You're supposed to do it in the fall when it's actually absorbing nutrients.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I think torching it is also temporary.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It just seems easier than Round-up. And more enjoyable. :D

• ceresone
    12 years ago

blowtorch is only temporary--LOL--I've tried everything. Round-up--uses it on one patch 3 times--thriving!
    Over the top, by Ortho, does work--I used it twice for results, but Iris survived in the bed OK.
    Sun shining bright this Sunday morning, after chores, I have to mow.-If I can get Hubby settled in first.
    Have a nice day, everyone.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Had to go out of town for the weekend but got part of the mowing down this afternoon after we got back. It was hot today. I thought the breeze would feel good but it didn't help much. I see some days in the 90's in the forecast, darnit. I think the rain used up a lot of our cool spring days. I still have quite a few things to plant.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm whittling away at my 60 plants and am finally down to just a few. I got several planted today in the curved area of my bed that bumps up against the house. It's funny how a garden kind of creates itself. This section ended up being kind of more formal with texture rather than cottage flowers.

The sun and heat got to me though and I conked out after about 45 minutes and retired to my hammock swing where I swayed in the wonderful breezes for awhile. I love Missouri's wind!

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus