Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

trying to figure out how to use my camera

christie_sw_mo
10 years ago

I used Picasa to transport images to my computer with my old camera but this one came with new software so I'm trying to learn how to use that.
I've got them on my computer now let's see if I can find them again so I can post one. I feel like I'm too old to learn new things. It hurts my brain.

hmmmmm

This may take awhile lol

Comments (18)

• helenh
    10 years ago

All I have to do is put the memory SanDisk SD card 1 GB in a slot on the front of my computer. Yours sounds hard. Do you have a slot on your computer?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

try try again
    picture of a daffodil from my aunt's yard.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Yeh you did it. Now take some pictures of sweet furry faces and plants. It is sunny so do it now; bad weather is coming.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't gotten the dogs to hold still long enough but Gizmo has been modeling for me.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He's saying "You're not really going to make me move are you?" lol

My first iris to bloom:

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Magnolia 'Jane'

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blooming in my shade garden but I don't know what it is. I'm not even sure whether it's something I planted myself or a volunteer.
    Does it look familiar?

• helenh
    10 years ago

Cats are good at modeling. Dogs think the camera is Frontline or some trick you have up your sleeve. How big is your Jane? The flower is beautiful. I see magnolia Jane for sale but have never purchased one. At Powell Garden they had some flowering magnolias in shade or partial shade. I don't know where I would put one but you have tempted me.

Here is a link that might be useful: spring beauty

• gldno1
    10 years ago

Christie, the pictures are very good! What kind of camera? These are so clear....I have lost the touch with my camera . if I every had it! I am always disappointed in the close-ups.

The cat is hilarious......so like a cat. Every time I try to take a picture of Sugar (dog) she comes up and wants to eat the camera.

I thought the small flower might be chionodoxa but they are bluer I think.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helen I think you're right about my mystery flowers being Spring Beauty. Thank you! If I planted that, I've forgotten.

I planted Jane five years ago and I'd guess that it's 6 to 8 feet tall now and still not blooming heavy enough to call it showy. It gets some competition from a Tulip tree so it might be doing better by now if it was planted in a better spot.
    I'm ashamed - I finally broke down and bought the Canon that has a 50x zoom lol. I got a good deal on it. Best Buy matches some dot com prices now. Amazon is one and they had the lowest price so I showed them that price at the register at Best Buy and they matched it. I also had reward zone bucks to take off of the price plus another 20 for applying for a BB charge card back before Christmas so it got the price down to 340. That's more than I intended to spend but I still had some Santa cash and I "needed" a good camera. : )
    It seems to be working great for macro or zooming either one, but if the camera is zoomed all the way out, it's difficult to keep the subject centered. If you move the camera even a little, you've lost sight of it.
    I haven't messed around with macro much yet but this one is of buds on my Mohawk viburnum and the lens was very close. I need to try it out on some bugs or butterflies.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It has a 200x digital zoom but optimum focus is only out to 50x. Even 50 is way more than I usually need but it's fun to play with. I think this was zoomed to over 100.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Wow I think you made a wise purchase. I hadn't thought of seeing the craters on the moon with a camera. The flower buds are beautiful. You like to take pictures of butterflies so I think you needed the camera.

• gldno1
    10 years ago

I would have bet it was a Canon. I don't think they can be beat. That one was next on my list but maybe not with quite that much zoom. I restrained my self though but when I do buy, it will be a Canon.

The long zoom are fantastic!

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine is a Canon SX50. I helped my parents shop and got them a Canon SX260 for Christmas. It's a great camera with a 20x zoom. I've used it and liked it really well but was disappointed with the Macro lens. It wasn't even as good as my old camera. That's a deal breaker for me because I like to take close-ups. Otherwise, it would've been perfect.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Christie, I use Picassa as well and never could figure out how to get them to GW. I even tried with the new GW photo practice. But then, I'm definitely not the engineer type and even have a hard time programming a phone. Not Mensa, but Densa.

How did you do it??
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunny - I clicked on browse and then opened nearly everything on my computer trying to figure out where the new program stored the photos. I used the "keep pushing buttons til it works method". lol Picasa stored mine in an easy to find folder titled "pictures". If you can find that, open it( after you've clicked browse), then find the photo you want and click "open" on the bottom right of that page, then I think it will go back to your gardenweb page and the address will be in the box by the word browse. Click preview. On my computer, it takes a few minutes after I preview for the next screen to come up but when it finally does, your photo should appear and you can hit submit. Hope I didn't leave anything out. Someone feel free to correct me if I did.
    If you make changes to your message and preview again, your photo will dissapear and you'll have to browse and select it again
    So try again Sunny. We're rootin for ya. : )

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should've also mentioned that if you're starting a NEW thread, you'll have to type your message, and click preview before the browse feature will appear, then after you preview the first time, you can go browse for your photo and will have to preview again and then submit. Did that make sense? I would not have made a good teacher.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Thank you, Christie! Instructions seem pretty clear and surely I can do it. Wish I could have shared my simple coldframe photos with you all, as they were easy to make and I used them during this last cold/snow snap.
    I'll give this a try -
    Sunny

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz