Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wpooh_gw

Drainage problem!!!

wpooh
10 years ago

I live in Mo. Ozarks. I planted a mum flower bed last Fall and NONE of the mums came up this Spring. I dug 2'x2'deep holes and replaced the clay soil with mushroom compost, manure, and topsoil. The bed is on a slight slope and I noticed this Spring that the mum plants are standing in water!!!! I think the water is draining in the amended holes and standing there because of the surrounding clay soil. Problem: I have since planted many other plants toward the bottom of the slope and can't dig a drainage ditch from Mums to lower slope unless I tear up all the other plants!! How do I get theses 2' holes to drain better? Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)

• helenh
    10 years ago

I have read that happens in clay soil. That is why they make raised beds. It sounds like the mums are gone anyway. Maybe you could gradually dig out the whole area and mix the amended with the clay getting rid of the 2 by 2 ponds.

• gldno1
    10 years ago

You could try filling the bottom of the holes with rocks and then raise the planting up above the surround ground. Before I would risk plants, I would fill the holes with water and see how long it takes for them to drain. I killed a cherry tree when we first moved to the farm and I didn't know the garage drained into that area. It stood in water when it rained a lot and that is a killer for stone fruits

• helenh
    10 years ago

You might try monarda there or something that likes to live in ditches.