Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drainage problem!!!

Posted by wpooh z6a Mo. (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 12:53

I live in Mo. Ozarks. I planted a mum flower bed last Fall and NONE of the mums came up this Spring. I dug 2'x2'deep holes and replaced the clay soil with mushroom compost, manure, and topsoil. The bed is on a slight slope and I noticed this Spring that the mum plants are standing in water!!!! I think the water is draining in the amended holes and standing there because of the surrounding clay soil. Problem: I have since planted many other plants toward the bottom of the slope and can't dig a drainage ditch from Mums to lower slope unless I tear up all the other plants!! How do I get theses 2' holes to drain better? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drainage problem!!!

I have read that happens in clay soil. That is why they make raised beds. It sounds like the mums are gone anyway. Maybe you could gradually dig out the whole area and mix the amended with the clay getting rid of the 2 by 2 ponds.

o

You could try filling the bottom of the holes with rocks and then raise the planting up above the surround ground. Before I would risk plants, I would fill the holes with water and see how long it takes for them to drain. I killed a cherry tree when we first moved to the farm and I didn't know the garage drained into that area. It stood in water when it rained a lot and that is a killer for stone fruits

o

You might try monarda there or something that likes to live in ditches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here