Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

What do you have blooming for butterflies right now?

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

What a pretty day! I've been out walking around my yard and noticed there were several Red Admiral butterflies on my ninebark 'Diablo'. I can't remember ever seeing butterflies on it before but really there isn't much blooming in my yard right now that I would consider a butterfly magnet. Maybe they're desparate. My creeping phlox is dwindling down and barely has a few blooms. It's too early for my butterfly bush, cosmos or zinnias.

I might see more butterflies this time of year if I had something blooming that they like. Have you been seeing any butterflies? What are they going to?

Comments (4)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Tons of iris blooming, but not visited by butterflies of course.

Lets see: I have perennial salvia, roses, foxglove, white and purple hesperis, peonies, and clematis. I haven't seen a butterfly in days.

I need to get some annuals planted asap. I did see a Zebra Swallowtail earlier on the white hesperis but it didn't stay long and have seen a couple black swallowtails, probably spicebush. I almost forgot about the sweet williams that are starting to bloom. They should be a good butterfly plant. All the lamiums are blooming but I have never seen a bee or a butterfly on the snapdragon like blooms.

I was hoping for a good butterfly year!

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I can't find my zinnia seeds. : (
    I found some from a couple of years ago and if those germinate, I'll have plenty. I should have some volunteers too, but it would be nice if I could find the seeds I bought earlier this year. grrr

When you mentioned perennial salvia, you reminded me that I have May Night blooming or seedlings from it at least. I don't think I still have the original plant. I need to watch and see if any hummingbirds/butterflies visit that. I don't think so though.

I've seen a couple Monarchs fluttering by but they didn't stop and have seen a few Black Swallowtails.

I have never seen a Zebra Swallowtail in my yard. Those are the ones that use Pawpaw as a host plant. I have a five inch tall Pawpaw planted by my fence row now and two more, just as small, in pots that I will plant this fall. I planted two last fall but only one made it through the winter.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I looked for butterflies yesterday after reading your post. I only saw one small yellow one in my vegetable garden probably laying eggs that I don't want. Today I saw one black one with blue on it. My woods are full of spice bush so it is probably that butterfly. I have lots of flowers blooming; I don't know why no butterflies. I think you need a big green cow pile that always attracts them.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmmmmm no cowpiles here. Maybe some ripe fruit instead. lol

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor