Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

A favorite Perennial

gldno1
14 years ago

Nothing bothers it, disease or bugs, it never falls over, it has some structure almost shrub-like. It is persicaria polymorpha.

{{gwi:622116}}

Comments (11)

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

I really like the size a structure of that. I have to keep telling my self not to plant all dainty plants. I than have to spend time babying them. I think that would hold up well.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    14 years ago

Thanks I have never heard of the plant, so I'll be looking that one up.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

The white blooms in your photo remind me of my favorite perinneal, Aruncus, or Goat's Beard. It's hard to find in local nurseries and for some reason hasn't done very well in my gardens here. The last place I planted it was beside a garage on the north side where it was moist and filtered light. I'd love to plant another next year when I figure out the best location for it.
    Anyone else grow it? Any suggestions?
    Sunny

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

I have the "Red Dragon" and it's really getting big this year. It's been so moist and I moved it to a different area. I like the purple with the arrow shape in it. The problem is that now a hibiscus and it have grown together. I guess it will have to move again.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! I love it. Does it come from seed? Would you be willing to share? And what is the purple plant behind to the left?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dorothy, I can't find any information on raising it from seed. I know it does not self-seed at all. It has a very woody root, so it might ship fine as a root, I would be more than willing to share. I would try a cutting, but I am hopeless at doing cuttings.

The purple is old time Dame's Rocket, hesperis matronalis. I can certainly collect seeds from that if you are interested.

glenda.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I would love seeds of the Dame's Rocket. And I appreciate the offer of the Persicaria, but don't dig into your plant. I will look for it online. I just thought if it seeded, you might be willing to send seeds. But I have wanted the Dame's Rocket for a long time, so would appreciate that. I have some self seeders--annual poppies, petunias, cleome, lunaria. Do you want seed of any of those?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will see what kind of seeds the persicaria has. Be happy to save the hesperis for you. I only have one sorry little cleome, so would like seeds of those.

When the seeds are ripe, I will contact you.

glenda

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Great and I'll save cleome seed.

• rootwad
    14 years ago

Sunnyside1, I saw your May 27 post. You can get Aruncus diocius, Goat's Beard (a Missouri native) from Easyliving Wildflower Nursery in Willow Springs or Missouri Wildflowers Nursery near Jeff City. Both nurseries have websites and I have had good experiences with both.

RW

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Thank you, RW. I'll check them out tomorrow. I'm sure it's not too late. Know just where I'll put one --
    Sunny

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting