Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Botany Shop red cannas

helenh
10 years ago

Sunny I was there today and they have them. I also saw ruellia back in a greenhouse.

Comments (4)

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Thanks, Helen. They are always worth waiting for.
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you plant them every year? My cannas are variegated and return although I seem to have less instead of having them multiply. I bought 5 red ones from Botany Shop and two packages of Season Starters (wall of water type things). If the sun comes out I may be in more of a mood for plants. Having a house full of tomato plants is holding me back on new purchases. The forecast looks good - bring on spring.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Yes, I buy them every year. I'm mad about cannas, in general, and my daughter wants a bunch of the President every year for her birthday.

I didn't dig them last year, (looks like they and the dahlias all lived) but did take the potted ones out of the pots last fall and left them in the dirt. They are still under the bench in the greenhouse. I'm going to have to get them out and divide them out, for I'm sure they survived. They are not Presidents, but my favorite, Tropical Sunrise. I have several big pots of them all together in a little sitting area in the sun. There's just something about cannas!

Why don't you trench those big tomatoes (sideways) and get them planted tomorrow, Helen? I'm going to do mine tomorrow. And will probably have to trench a few, rather than plant them deep.
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will probably be planting stuff all day tomorrow. My tomatoes are not hardened off. They never have been out in the wind. They were in a covered dog kennel. Now they have been in the house since Wed and Thursday. The sun and wind would beat them up. I can plant a few and put row cover around them. I don't have places to put them all but I will decide which ones I want to plant and harden some off to give to people. I usually give two of my neighbors tomatoes. Also my friend's sister wants about four. I want to be sure to give her normal tomatoes not weird ones that I have not grown before. I tried several black ones and ones mentioned on various forums. I know I have lost some labels in all the shifting in and out. If you want to try some I am sure I have plenty.