Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Baltimore Oriole (Pics)

gldno1
16 years ago

The oriole came back this morning and I was able to get a few shots through the kitchen window. Hope you enjoy them.

{{gwi:1112453}}

{{gwi:1112454}}

{{gwi:1112455}}

Comments (13)

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

That's a great photo. I've only been able to take a picture through the window. I wish I'd had my camera handy when the one hit the window. Then I could've gotten a close-up before he flew away.
    Is he actually drinking from your hummingbird feeder or are the holes too small? I think with some hummingbird feeders you can pop the little yellow flower out and it will leave a bigger hole.
    The Oriole feeders at Wal-Mart are 8 something. I'm going to put that on my Mother's Day list. I have TWO male Baltimore Orioles now and I've seen two male Orchard Orioles but they always come to the feeder one at a time and chatter at each other when they're in my dogwood tree together.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

clean windows and nice photo's.

william

• Ginge
    16 years ago

So beautiful :) 2 years ago a baby fell out of the nest after a storm . I found it on the lawn a naked little thing . Took it to the porch and hand fed it called it Twiddle cause when it could fly it twiddled my orchid leaves . When it was ready I took the cage outside it would come and go during the day . After a couple of weeks it left with a group about it's age .

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ginge, I am surprised you could raise one by hand. congratulations.

Yesterday we had three orioles. They can sure take down the nectar! and are they ever territorial, only one could eat at a time. I put out orange slices and grape jelly and only one took a bite of the jelly. They would perch near the feeder and wait for their turn at the HB feeder. Maybe they haven't figured out what the oranges are yet.

Still have the blue buntings....william did you decide if they were the blue birds you had?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are up to 6 B. Orioles, pairs. I put out another feeder for jelly and they are using them both....I had to put them close together before they would use one of them. Oranges, grape and strawberry jelly are in the feeders. DH got so excited he called me out of the garden to tell me he counted 6.

• peaceofmind
    16 years ago

I was just reading this thread and feeling very jealous of you all when my doorbell rang and after I answered it I walked through the kitchen and saw 2 orioles at my hummingbird feeder. I could not believe my eyes. I thought I took a picture but nothing showed up in the camera. I may have forgotten to push the button or something. This explains why my feeder has been drained for the past week. I only have a couple of hummingbirds but I didn't put your messages together with the thought that I might have something else feeding there. I found a good web site that tells about them. The pictures on the web don't do them justice. Their color is brilliant.

Here is a link that might be useful: baltimore oriole information

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

it looks like i have bluebirds and indigo buntings.

the orioles have not been back but the roadrunner has. i love that bird. he has an agenda but not sure what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

william

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I saw three male Baltimore Orioles in my dogwood tree yesterday. I've only seen one female but I hope there's more. I saw a couple of males fighting (I think) a couple days ago.
    Gld - My hummingbird feeder looks exactly like yours and I haven't seen any orioles going to it, just hummingbirds.

• Ginge
    16 years ago

I have looked and not seen any .
    There is a nest hanging from an oak tree , don't know if it is a new one or old .
    I used Exact handfeeding formula with diffrent baby food fruit mixed in and a little warm water , when it was older it ate meal worms , apple , oranges from a dish, pineapple and other fruits , some nector . Gin

• scrapinator
    16 years ago

I am excited to say that for the first time since living in this hour in Springfield I have orioles. I saw a female (I think) on Saturday and then on Sunday I saw a male come down to try an empty hummingbird feeder. I put out orange halves and waited to see what would happen. I have spent the last thirty minutes watching a male oriole coming down to dine on the orange half --- with a chickadee joining in periodically.

I'm new to this forum and glad to have found it.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Gld, your Oriole pics are gorgeous ! I have still not seen either the Baltimore or the Orchard Oriole here this year.
    One year our large Lirodendron tulipifera was covered with blooms. The Baltimores literally ate all the petals off of it ! I am sure there will be no blooms this year, the buds were amongst the ones that were zapped in the freeze. I haven't tried the orange halves, but a cousin next door has good success with hers. I wonder if Blue Jays would be a nuisance...they are with everything else I put out. :-(

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

marian, so far, nothing else has bothered their feeders...not even the wasps which we have an abundance of.
    We are watching them closely for nesting. I have never seen a nest before.

Strangely there are very few Jays this year. Our worst nuisance birds are house sparrows, cow birds, redwing blackbirds and grackles.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I have Blue Jays but haven't seen them going to my orange slices or Oriole feeder - just the bird seed I put out.
    I had forgotten that my Oriole last year ate the blooms off of my baptisia. It's starting to bloom now. I wonder what other flowers they eat. I haven't been seeing the Orioles as often the last two days so maybe that's why since there is more in bloom now. They may be finding other food.

Welcome Scrapinator! - Glad you found the Ozarks forum.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County