Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_flutterby

Question about broccoli and cauliflower

I started my broccoli and cauliflower from seed on 21 Feb. They went into bigger pots about a month later. I transplanted them to the garden on 11 Apr.

They are huge now! I had no idea. Someone should take pics of the plants as they develop so I will know if everything is as it should be, lol.

Anyway, they didn't form heads. I think they should all be ready to harvest by this time, right?

Should I remove them? Come to think of it, my cabbage should be ready too, but it isn't, although it has formed a small head.

There are no flowers or anything, just monstrous leaves.

Please advise!

Be nice and don't laugh at me, it's my first garden.

Comments (8)

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Give them time.

• helenh
    9 years ago

Your bed is neat and you have no holes in the leaves. Nobody on this forum laughs at other gardeners. Do you grow lettuce? I have a box not as pretty as yours and it is full of leaf lettuce. I planted it early in the house and transplanted it to my box early and put an old window and plastic over it. I have had lots of salads from that. If you have time make some more beds like that and soon you will play outside instead of cleaning your house like me.

• organic_flutterby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do have lettuce in different stages of growth. I have harvested about 4 "heads" already. It's awesome!! I'm so happy with my lettuce.

I don't remove them completely, I leave the stem and a few leaves and they seem to grow again. You can see that straggly thing in the back of the picture, lettuce I hope will grow up again. lol.

This is just 1 of 4 beds that I have. And yes there are holes, but nothing too much to worry about.

Here is bed #2. I also have 1 of all strawberries and another that I have 2 sugar baby watermelons and will have 2 pie pumpkins, hopefully.

So should I just let those broccoli etc keep growing? I did ready somewhere online to clothespin the leaves together to help them form heads. Any thoughts on this?

• CFields59
    9 years ago

I live in North Central Arkansas and I have noticed that my garden is way behind in production as compared to last year. I think it is because our winter lasted so long. My cabbage is just now starting to make heads. And, my broccoli is not ready to harvest yet, either. Guess we just have to be patient. Good luck.

• dowbright
    9 years ago

My broccoli is only starting to head now. I'd keep them growing! It was such a cold spring...everything just sat there, doing nothing. They look good to me. :)

• organic_flutterby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for helping. When I posted last I had pinned up the large outer leaves of my broccoli and cauliflower plants as was suggested.

So far, I have 1 small little broccoli head forming. I haven't checked for a few days so maybe there are more.

Hopefully they will all grow.

• cherig22
    9 years ago

My broccoli did not form til the fall because the spring was so warm last year. They will grow all summer then make a ton of the little beauties.

Cheri

• organic_flutterby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow Cheri! That is interesting and I will definitely keep it in mind.

I finally got heads to form on my broccoli, but not the cauliflower. They were just getting so monstrous and shading my other things. I finally cut them out.

I got enough broccoli for about 2 meals but it was good.

Next time I will plant these veggies in another place where there is more room.

Thanks for your help. :)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!