14 years ago

Click to enlarge

Comments (13)

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Helen, how pretty. I love all of them. First I don't recognize the last picture of the reddish shrub. It is a honeysuckle?

Your pink clematis made me realize that I don't have any pinks!

I took some pics this morning after the storm and see some holes in things. I think we may have had some hail. I will post a few before another storm finishes them.

Thanks for sharing....I enjoy the pictures so much.

Glenda

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The shrub is red buckeye from a seed snatched from Neosho Nurseries now out of business. The seed was on the path and I don't feel guilty one bit. Most of the clematis are new and I don't expect long lives. I have a few older ones that are pretty that bloom later. They wilt on me sometimes suddenly. I don't pay much because of that; most of these were on sale at the end of the season.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Red buckeye is on my list for the front yard for sure now! I have never seen one but they are supposed to be HB magnets...are they? It is a pretty thing.

Most of my clematis get wilt too, but always come back.

• ozarkredbird
    14 years ago

Hi, I am new and just registered here, my name is Linda and I live just outside Springfield, Mo. on five acres with my hubby Jim, 4 dogs, 7 parrots, a cat and a pony.LOL!
    I love your pictures, where would I get a buckeye tree?
    We are busy cleaning up from Friday's storm, we live about 5 miles north of Springfield, toward Fair Grove, so we got hit hard, lost two trees, our bedroom window, about 20 ft of chain link fence (tree fell on it) and have a yard FULL of debris..
    I am looking forward to being here with you all and posting to the forum.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Hi, Linda -- Sorry to hear about your damages.
    Welcome to Ozarks forum!
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Welcome Ozarkredbird! Sorry you got hit so hard by the storm. We didn't have any serious damage to our property but there were several trees down in our area and it made me feel very lucky when I got out and saw how bad it was.

My red buckeye isn't big enough to bloom yet. I can't remember for sure where I got it, maybe at the native plant sale that they have every spring at the Nature Center in Springfield. It's supposed to be an early spring bloomer for hummingbirds. I thought it would be already through blooming by now so it either blooms a long time for a shrub or it's not as early as I thought it would be. When did yours start blooming Helen?
    Your peony looks red on my monitor. All your photos are beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a yellow azalea.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

ozarkredbird, you are almost a neighbor. We live just west of Z highway and about 5 miles north of Willard. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry about your damage....We are in the same boat with lots of cleanup to do....no house damage thankfully.

glenda

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome, Linda. This is a friendly forum. If you like plants you will fit in here. I am sorry you received damage. It seems lately everyone has suffered damage. Last year I had to get a new roof because of hail. I am still picking up pieces of gazing balls.

I have noticed hummingbirds around the buckeye, but didn't know if they were getting any nectar or not. They go to some orange metal flowers I have so the color may draw them. I will take a picture of another plant that they are attracted to and post it here. It is honeysuckle and grows faster if you want a hummingbird plant. The red buckeye is an interesting plant and can be a nice specimen. Neosho Nurseries had a display garden and in it was a large one with a path all around and some underplanting (spring bulbs, annuals) depending on the season. It was beautiful and made you want to buy it. It was rather expensive for a small plant, so I planted a seed. The plant is interesting to me, but not for the impatient. I was a young person when I planted it. It has been smothered by a star magnolia which I am removing. Buckeyes sometimes look good in spring and decline in summer, but come back fine the next spring. The yellow wild ones by the creek do this too.

Christie, that peony is a beautiful almost neon glowing dark bright pink, but I planted it in the wrong place under a tree. It has only a few blooms; I need to move it.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Helen, I am glad you said that about your red Buckeye. I have 3 that I started from seeds, and they are so small compared to yours, but only about 10(?) years old.
    Linda, if you can get some seeds, they are very easy to start. But, as Helen said, very slow growing.
    Sorry about your storm damage.
    We are still cutting off storm-damaged limbs from our January ice storm.

BTW, Helen, your pics are lovely. I have a few clem blooms now, and would have had more but the late freeze got some of them. I have Peonies in bloom also, and one looks like your pic. It is one of my favorites.
    Your Azalea is sure differant than any I have. I do have one of the native azeleas that I transplanted, from down in our hollow, into my bed by the deck. It had several pink blooms this spring, but they are finished already. :-(

{{gwi:157058}}

Here is my Ernest Markham:
    {{gwi:157057}}

And this is Carnaby and Proteus:

{{gwi:1112573}}

Marian

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very nice pictures; I love to look at other yards. It looks you have a lane too.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Marian, beautiful flowers....I have never had success with azaleas. Your clematis look very pretty...I had Ernest Markham on a fence post on the other farm and loved it. I have been thinking about trying it here on the two fence posts next to the road on either side of the yard.

Hope you keep posting and showing us pictures of your Arkansas beauties.

Glenda

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is the pink azalea fragrant? I am after fragrant ones. I have an orange one that is very fragrant, but my yellow one isn't.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner