2:00pm: Oscar H. Will III

3:00pm: Adrienne Young

4:00pm: K.C. Compton

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Festival Speaker Profiles

Comments (2)

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Wear your duck boots!
    We drove down there yesterday. Called before we left to make sure it wasn't canceled for rain, then when we got there they were turning people away. A lady told us they were closing up because people were getting stuck in the mud and there was nowhere to park.
    I asked if I could be dropped off because I wanted to still go to the seed store and she said ok. I was thrilled to find out all the booths were still open as well as the buildings and hubby found a place to park after all. The drive was well over an hour for us to get there so we were glad it wasn't wasted. I feel sorry for the people who drove all the way there and had to go back home. I'm sure Bakercreek knew it was going to rain and should've organized a shuttle or something. Maybe they'll do that next year.

Anyway - If a person was shopping for tomatoes or herbs they'd be in heaven. They're weren't as many flowers as I expected but a few. Lots of crafts and music and we had a great afternoon despite the rain and mud. I found red veined sorrel, malabar spinach and some sage that I think I already had but oh well.

Violet - If the Master Gardeners had any energy left after their sale, I think they could make some bucks taking the leftovers down there to sell, especially if the weather was nice. There were still a lot of people there shopping even though we saw so many having to turn around and go back.

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christie,

I spent two full days there. Got home at 9:00 pm both evenings. Didn't see you! But saw a lot of other people!

I think it's enough physical labor for everyone to keep it within the park and within town. It wouldn't be cost efficient in regards to gas money and time for them to handle leftovers. All the plants eventually find a home. Many went to the Rutledge-Wilson Farm and their new ongoing projects. They have 207 acres to fill. There are also several local public parks that can use the plants as well.

Baker Creek did the best they could do under the circumstances. They had to decide to turn people away because they simply would have gotten stuck. They had three tractors going pulling people cars out of mud. They actually did put gravel down but the ground was over saturated, and the continual line of cars just cut grooves into the land making it very difficult for other cars to go thru. It was much better yesterday.

I'm surprised I didn't have to get towed myself. I'm thoroughly exhausted and the car is completely full of plants as a result!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutledge-Wilson Farm

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!