Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 18:08

harvest garden at Powell Garden

Why fight mint ground cover under a shrub Powell Garden
fence Powell Garden
herbs Powell Garden
Black Lace elderberry Powell Garden

Click to enlarge.

Harvest Garden at Powell Garden. Vegetables are used as ornamentals.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Powell Garden highway 50 near Lone Jack

Helen, I receive an e-mail when you post new pictures so had already viewed all of these this morning. I didn't even know what Powell Gardens was! Shame on me.

It looks like you had a beautiful day to visit.

o

You're making me want to visit. We've only been once and I'm not sure we saw the whole place.
They supposedly set up "tasting stations" for the fruit and other edibles and have planted many different varieties. Their webpage says 50 peach trees and 50 apple trees. They even have stuff like named pawpaws and persimmon varieties. They claim to have "The nation's largest edible garden"
Did you see any tasting stations when you were there? Not sure what would be available right now as far as fruit, maybe strawberries - if it's not too early. It would be nice to compare the different types and see what tastes best.

o

We were there on Monday, April 30. Starting in May they will have those tasting stations through the week. The cafe' was closed. Last time I had a salad at the cafe'. We saw a chef's helper gathering all kinds of lettuce. There were plenty of strawberries but no tasting station. School groups were there and I heard them trying to get kids to taste Swiss chard. I thought I would need it cooked with butter and salt. I heard the man say you aren't going to try any on it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here