Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering

Posted by Mrs.Anonymous 6b (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 20:13

I kindly request some help in figuring out when and how frequently to water. I started my garden in containers and only needed to water them twice a week. I recently built an 18x10 in ground garden and it appears to me that they are drying up. How frequently and how long should I be watering my strawberries, peppers and tomatoes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering

Dig a hole and see if the soil is dry several inches below the surface. There is not a certain frequency for watering. Today was very windy and warm. Things dry out fast under those conditions. It is not raining here and the weatherman is useless concerned the city people will not have a good weekend. Sometimes plants will wilt in the wind and sun even though the roots are not dry. If they look dry in the morning that means they probably are too dry. Check the drought monitor weekly to get an idea about soil moisture. People think it is raining because we get cloudy days with a few sprinkles. I haven't had a good rain in ages here.

Here is a link that might be useful: drought monitor map

This post was edited by helenh on Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:13

o
RE: Watering

I need to check in more often; I missed this one. Helen, is right that if the wind is blowing things dry out very quickly.

A good, deep watering is better than light sprinklings. Mulch around everything helps a lot too.

When I use the sprinkler, I place a container within the range and water until it shows l full inch. Then try to keep it to one inch weekly.

I am afraid we are in for a long, hot summer and we will all be watering regularly if we grow anything at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here