Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yarberrychick

Shovels & Flip-flops just don't mix

yarberrychick
11 years ago

Memo to all... I just learned the hard way to NEVER dig a hole with a shovel while wearing flip-flops... even when its rained, even when you "just can't wait" to plant pink-climbing-roses-that-came-in-the-mail-today, and even (especially not) when the wine tells you it will be ok. Just left the ER with 8 stitches in the bottom of my right foot & ruined a perfectly good pair of really cute flip-flops : (

Comments (10)

• helenh
    11 years ago

You must have pushed hard on that shovel or your shovel is sharp. That is going to make it hard to walk. I can imagine it will be sore.

• yarberrychick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharp shovel, thin shoes, wet ground = bad combo. Very sore, but I'll be treated like a queen for at least a day or 2 since hubby is the one that had sharpened the shovel lol.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Ouch! You definitely need to make him feel the guilt. Now is a good time to ask for stuff you've been wanting. lol He should at least get you some new flip flops.
    Are you going to be able to drive? Hope it heals quickly and be careful that it doesn't get infected.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Yowch! I knew when I read the topic of this thread that it wasn't gonna be good....I quit wearing sandals and flipflops in the garden when I had my own near disaster in the garden a few years ago and it scared the Nikes right back on to my feet. Sorry that happened to you, hope your foot heals well and quickly!

Hubby can do penance for that sharp shovel with lots of waiting on hand and foot for a while and dig nice holes for you! ;)

Sandy

• yarberrychick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ya'll. This dang cut still hurts like the dickens, but on the upside hubby is working like a madman on my honey-do list & making sure I stay on my tush as much as possible. Lesson definitely learned though, I'll be a tennis shoes or huntin boots gal in the garden from here on out.... when I can put shoes on both feet again, that is, lol.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

It just sounds so painful. Stay after your doctor if it doesn't seem to be healing as quickly as it should.
    I don't let my kids run the yard around in flip flops anymore after an incident my son had. I'll spare you the description. They were tennis shoes now.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I read in a gardening magazine or book to sharpen your hoe and slice weeds at the surface. I thought it sounded like a good idea then thought of my toes. There is not a shovel around here that would slice through a flip flop. That is why when I read it, I couldn't figure out how you did that. My fear is falling on one of the stakes I have everywhere because the dogs and cats lay on my plants. It is more dangerous if you have manure around. My mother spent 11 days in the hospital (years ago when they kept you longer)because she stabbed her toe with a manure laden pitch fork. She had to keep her leg elevated and was not sick at all. They were worried about the bacteria.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

I didn't even want to open this one! Ouch!

I never ever mow or garden without shoes and socks on.

I scratch up my arms enough as it is. I was bleeding the other day and looked down at my arm.....I had been working in the berry patch without my long-sleeved work shirt.

Take care of that foot.

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

A pair of thin cotton sneakers are no protection from a shovel either as I learned when I was 17 (Don't ask how long ago that was) I ripped the side of the sneaker and the side of my foot open as it slid off the top of the shovel. I had several stitches too and hobbled around school on crutches for a week at least. I can still see that scar.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Ouch Mulberryknob! I don't think we have any shovels that are sharp on the side like that and never will now.
    Yarberrychick - Are you still limping or all healed up now?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville