Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtguy50

Your Take on the Weather?

The forcast keeps changing and what is your thinking with the recent weather coming in?

Comments (11)

• helenh
    10 years ago

Someone on the OK forum said the European model called for snow in OK the 3rd and 4th of May. They posted this April 24. Someone else and I don't know where this person got it said we may have more cold next week. I don't know where you go to get these models early, but check the OK forum because they will post something.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on weather

This post was edited by helenh on Fri, May 3, 13 at 0:29

• helenh
    10 years ago

Aaron Tuttle is an OK weatherman who puts info on Facebook. I looked up what he had for May 9th and it was not that cold for SW MO. He has a forecast map that shows 30's in parts of OK May 9, but his map shows me at 41 degrees.

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

We have just a very fine dusting of snow this morning and the current temp on NOAA says 33. Hope that doesn't kill the blooms on my cherry tree. I didn't cover it. Maybe the moisture/snow will help protect a few things.
    I just hope we're in a new weather pattern and won't have a repeat of the hot dry summer that we had last year and the year before.
    It's sleeting. : (

• gldno1
    10 years ago

We were 30ð here this morning and this is what it looks like.

I hope the snow acts as insulation. I pulled the straw back over the strawberries so maybe they will be OK.

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

brrr you have a little more "insulation" than we do in our yard but it's snowing again here now.
    I looked for weather records and what I found said the latest measurable snow on record for Springfield was May 3 1907, so we've tied that. Hope we don't beat it.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is my garden this morning. This isn't what I was expecting to be excited about spring planting.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Christie I hope you get a few cherries just to see if your tree has good cherries. I have three of those bush cherries from Canada but they are too small to have fruit. If it stays cloudy tonight we will be OK I think - don't know about the fruit though. I tried to cover the blueberries which are blooming but the cover kept blowing off.

The OK weather person is now saying the cold air May 9 may be blocked in Canada and we may not get the freezing cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: next week

This post was edited by helenh on Fri, May 3, 13 at 11:52

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

Oh your poor garden Dirtguy! It looks like you have a pretty good snow cover too so maybe most things will be ok.
    It's still only 33. It worries me that the temps are staying low so long. I think it's been there since midnight and may have dropped a little lower for awhile.

My blueberries are in containers on my patio. They're blooming and I should've scooted them back against the house where it's warmer but I didn't think of it.

There were a couple cherries on my Balaton tree last year so I got to sample them; a little more sour than I was hoping but they're ok. I liked the goumi Sweet Scarlet berres better but they're smaller. I also liked the mulberries from my 'Oscar' tree. I think last year was the first year for it to fruit. It has gotten top dieback each of its three winters even though I don't think it has dropped below zero here since I planted it, so I'm afraid if we have a cold winter, it might die. Oscar hadn't bloomed yet this year but my goumi had. This will be a test.

• aiwen
    10 years ago

Benton County in NW AR got snow too. I didn't take any pictures, but it stuck around until about noon.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Dirtguy, I really like your Beds on Tile. Neat, and looks professional. I think your plants are fine.

Everything I thought might be tender I had planted out so far got covered with pot, straw, old sheet, trusty coldframe, or all of the above. The almost-blooming clematis got a sheet over it and it looks fine. I have little peaches and I sure hope they made it -- cherry tree was just in full bloom. That dwarf cherry is right next to the compost bin and has probably doubled in size in 8 years, since I moved back here. Hadn't had enough cherries for a pie until I put the compost bin in. My father was pretty old when he planted that, and asked me if I thought he was crazy to plant a cherry tree at his age. I told him he would see cherries on it and he did, even if there was just a handful.

I hadn't heard about possible cold on May 9. That's 5 days away -- what the heck is going on with this weather? Intellicast has forecast for 72 degrees and 60 degrees o/n with scattered T-storms.
    Sunny

• helenh
    10 years ago

Sunny they are now saying that May 9 cold will not make it here. So far I think we have been lucky because of all the moisture in the air. It is still misty today. If it had cleared I think we would have had things freeze. They are still forecasting a cool Sunday morning though. I will be glad when we can plant things outside with no worry. It will probably go immediately to hot weather, but I hope not like last year.