Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet_z6

Young Sprouts in the Garden - Free - Saturday, May 30, 2009

Violet_Z6
14 years ago

Ladybugs, leaves, sunshine and trees: take root and grow at the second annual Young Sprouts in the Garden. Many adventures, crafts and activities await you while learning about kid-related gardening, nature and our environment. Among the day’s events: Storytime in the garden with the Library at 12:30 p.m. While they last, kids will take home an Ozarks Harvesting Hope garden apron and reusable bag!

For more information, call 862 - 9284.

9 am - 2 pm

Nathanael Greene Park

Free Admission

SAVE THE DATE!

Saturday, May 30

Program Gets Kids Excited About Gardening

Reported by: Carlos Correa

(SPRINGFIELD) -- Spring time is here and as the temperatures get warmer more young people will likely be outside enjoying the weather.

The Springfield-Greene County Park board hope it can teach kids how to appreciate and cultivate nature.

People can start developing their green thumb pretty early in life. The park board is offering area kids and youth a program to get them closer to nature as they learn the basics of gardening.

Four year old Abby Tuggle is getting her hands dirty.

"I'm planting cucumbers. I dig a hole and water them. It's fun," she said.

She is among many children being introduced to the garden through the "Young Sprouts in Garden" program.

"Sometimes when you talk to people that garden, they say gosh when I was little I remembered being in the garden when I was with my family or being at my grandmother's and picking blueberries and things and we just want that in children today," said Amy Tuggle, Master Gardner.

Organizers teach students how to start a garden as well as how to maintain it through the spring and summer time.

And parents are learning some tricks too.

"My parents taught me that if they are involved enough they get excited about eating vegetables, it would be exciting for me, but its also a lot of fun to see them doing part of the work," said parent, Rebecca Vanhoose.

Volunteers with the Springfield Greene County Park board are also teaching children about produce and are even getting a chance to explore a few insects along the way.

"It just beautiful to look at, they enjoy watching the flowers and seeing the different colors," said parent, Susan Esch.

They say getting young people outside can be difficult when you're competing against video games, but once they're in the garden, they quickly learn how fun it can be.

"We just want children outside in the sunshine enjoying things, running around, but definitely when they are outside, you just enjoy things more and being in the environment and just how we relate to nature," said Tuggle.

Master gardeners say young people can start off with lima beans, some annuals and sun flowers for their first gardeners.

They can also start with veggies such as tomatoes and cucumbers. The "Young Sprouts in the Garden," event takes place Saturday, May 30 at Nathanael Greene Park as they help introduce children to the garden.

For more information you can call 417-862 - 9284.

Here is a link that might be useful: Young Sprouts in the Garden

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists