Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Annabelle

gldno1
13 years ago

Christie, these are for you. I love

Annabelle too.

I took this next shot to show the clematis that has gone wild this year and is climbing up the apple tree. Please ignore the trash cans. They hold the chicken feed. Their house and yard is just through he fence. DH is not happy having to bend under the clematis to take care of them!

Comments (8)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness! That clematis has really taken off! How pretty to have clematis behind your hydrangea.

Annabelle has been very dependable for me. I have one on each side of my garage door now facing the north. The first one I planted is getting pretty big, bigger than I thought it would. The second one I planted later, but it's catching up. I have a jackmanii clematis next to the biggest one that used to be on a support which fell so now the clematis is just "climbing" on the hydrangea. There are purple flowers poking out between the white and you can barely see the vine itself.
    Last time I tried to put photos on my computer, it said the computer memory was full. We've deleted some stuff and I need to try again.

• helenh
    13 years ago

Do like Annabelle as well as oak leaf? I love my oak leaf.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Annabelle blooms better than my oakleaf hydrangea but I don't have a named variety of oakleaf, just the species. I still like it very much. It's starting to bloom now too. I planted it in full sun and not sure I should have. It does ok there but I think it stresses it.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

Wow, both are gorgeous, but I love the combination too! I may have to get an Annabelle knowing it does so beautifully here. Hydrangeas confuse me so I've never bothered to pay good money for one.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Helen, I have been having some computer difficulties. I tried to respond but couldn't.

To me they are so different that I don't even think of them both as hydrangeas. I love my baby oakleaf that is now in full bloom too, but it just looks totally different.

From Gardening 2010

• jaceysgranny
    13 years ago

All of them are very pretty. I don't have any hydrangeas but they are on my list of things to buy. I had one of the common blue/pink ones but it only lived a few years.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I wonder if that hydrangea I have is Anabelle. I remember wanting one after reading this thread. Sometimes I look for one thing and end up buying something else. I was very strong today. There was a hydrangea at Joplin Greenhouse called Lets Dance. It was beautiful and not at all cheap; I thought of how much water it would require and did not buy it. The oakleaf I planted in my friend's yard is fragrant. I noticed it today from a distance. It isn't as nice as honeysuckle but pleasant to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's Dance Starlight

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

'Let's Dance' looks very tempting Helen. I love hydrangeas. They do require some water but I wish all shrubs bloomed so long. I need to replace a couple hydrangeas along the back of my house (faces east). Two that I have back there aren't doing well. The one I transplanted from my parents' house is doing great. I'd rather have more of those than my others.
    My Annabelle's are looking good. I will try to post a photo soon. If the blooms on yours are large Helen, it may be Annabelle rather than the native. If not, I bet I can get you a start off mine. : )

Glenda - Do you still have that baby Oakleaf? This thread was started almost two years ago so it should be a lot bigger now. Mine is just a native unnamed one and starting to bloom. It's pretty but it doesn't have any fragrance. : ( I wish it did.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living