Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Cosmos

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 6:15

Remember the tiny little red cosmos that was in a packet of reds for the garden seeds (a gift from someone with their order). Well it self seeded and here it is this year. It is now about 20 inches tall and loaded with buds.
red cosmos
The backside is as pretty as the front,

red cosmos backside

I think the shiny is because it was wet. I will check it today to see.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Cosmos

Could it be Red Crest? I searched cosmos after reading your post. I had so many tomato plants to get in the ground and then the family reunion and Mayo trip - I forgot to plant my summer annuals. I have some double click and white cosmos seeds that I purchased. The common pink ones I had last year have reseeded in my grass. I haven't mowed part of my yard and it is tall. Six to ten inch cosmos is surviving in thick Bermuda.

o

Helen, I don't now. The package just called it red plants. One is an amaranth that also self seeded and this cosmos. I can't remember if there were others.

You sound as far behind as I am. I don't think I will every get caught up. I think I am slowing down............

o

That's pretty Glenda! Looks like a very dark red. I did some searching too and didn't see any reds that looked like they had a different color on the reverse like yours.

I'm mostly impressed that it's blooming so early. My volunteers still don't even have buds. And the cosmos seeds I planted this year didn't germinate well at all. I only found one and I planted a bunch.
I might shamelessly ask for some seeds from yours later this summer, especially if the butterflies like them. : )

o

Those are luscious, and I agree that the reverse is as pretty as the....front? The red part. :D Beautiful!

o

I saw a coreopsis in a nursery today that looked like your plant. I almost bought it, but it was described as a not winter hardy perenniel.

o

Well, I think this self-seeded. I found another small plant nearby so I know that one self-seeded. I will definitely be saving seeds. It is about 36 inches tall now and very full of deep red flowers. I am really liking it.

Notice it has the thread leaf. I don't think I have any of the Sensation variety left. I do have lots of the orange and yellow ones but none blooming so far.

o

I love it~I have the wild yellow ones inter-planted with a blue dianthus and love them together. Another thing I like is that they come back and bloom most of the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here