Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

The Humming Bird Bed

gldno1
11 years ago

I named this one years ago when I had lots of red salvias and others that attracted the hummers. The new name should be the Hodgepodge Bed!

Comments (4)

• helenh
    11 years ago

You have a beautiful cottage garden. I envy your lilies in the ground. Voles would eat them here. Do I see a flowering tobacco by the house. I like your mix; even your poppy looks good. My poppies were all together and boy are they ugly now. I am letting the Shirley poppies go to seed. I pulled up all the salmon single poppies and left a few other colors to go to seed. I see you can grow Shasta daisies. What do I do wrong? I bought a new one still in a pot and need advice. Always before they have died on me.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Beautiful Glenda! I love hodgepodge. Do you have places to step to get in there and pull weeds?

I've only seen one red salvia volunteer so far this year. I think I should've planted some. I had several last year.
    I've had a couple shasta daisies for several years but they don't look very good, kind of dwindling. They used to be so pretty. Maybe I need to divide them but there isn't much there to divide. lol

• donna37
    11 years ago

You have the most gorgeous flowers, Glenda.
    I haven't been here in ages to see what my Ozark neighbors are doing. I must visit more often.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Helen, the secret is don't buy the expensive 'named' varieties. These were all started from a gift seed packet that just called them shasta daisies. I started them in flats first and then transplanted. I have a couple more in front of the house near your 4-o'clocks. BTW, my Beckies lasted maybe two years.

They get no special treatment.

Lilies: maybe voles are what happened to my Red Hot lilies; they disappeared completely.

Poppies: Mine bloomed in various places and at various times. I will post some pics as soon as I can. They are fading fast.

For some darned reason I can't get them started out by the road.

That is flowering tobacco. I planted it once years ago and now have it in several places. I try to leave it if it won't be a nuisance when it self seeds. Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate does the same thing.

Christie, I would never be clever enough to lay stepping stones.....I just step into the beds to work. I see it is needing my attention again too.

Thank you Donna. This kind of gardening doesn't take much planning! That works for me. Please do visit more often.
    I don't as much as I should but am trying to do better.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington