Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockguy_gw

Cabool?

rockguy
14 years ago

Is anybody in or near Cabool? I am moving to my place there soon, just looking for a local connection for advice about local things like which feed store/hardware etc is best. I'm a seed saver and swap a few seeds from time to time too.

Comments (13)

• ceresone
    14 years ago

How near? I'm outside the next town E/SE.
    I save seeds, but as for a good feed store? Good Luck.
    I've seen a big change with the economy-what used to be good, will now shaft you in a heartbeat. For instance--a in-tank heater- was under a year warrenty- 10 months into it, it quit heating, took it back, they tried, said it worked, I tried-it didnt. With the back and forth-when I took it back the last time, they said, sorry-the warrenty ran out last week.
    You will be within 35 miles of Baker Creek, worth going to...

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Welcome Rockguy!

I've been through Cabool a couple times but have very limited knowledge about that area. I'm close to Springfield. I'm sure you won't want to do all your shopping here but it's nice that you CAN if there are things that you can't find locally. It's not a bad drive.

Are you moving to a farm? We'd love to hear your plans for your new place. Hope you enjoy the Ozarks.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday, Rockguy.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Welcome Rockguy (aptly named for this part of the world!) and Happy Birthday too.

I see there is an MFA in Cabool, I do lots of business with the one nearest me and buy all my feed from the one in Bolivar, Mo. Not all do custom mixes and they do.
    You might check them out.

Hope you have a pain free move and love living on the new place.

glenda

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Glenda, I understand the MFA has closed in Cabool.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Happy birthday a day late Rockguy. I didn't notice that when I looked at your member page.

Something else close-by besides Baker Creek - There's a demonstration garden in Mountain Grove. I haven't visited it myself but would like to sometime. They have fruit trials there. The link below mentions it and also tells the name of the Master Gardener organization for your area. They might have a help-line phone number where you could get local info. This is for Douglas, Texas and Wright Counties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tri-County Master Gardeners

• gldno1
    14 years ago

They still show it on their website.....I keep worrying that the one close to me in Ash Grove will close. They no longer keep a manager on the premises full time.

I know they do 'tons' (pun intended) of fertilizer business and that is what keeps them open. I think it is sad to see the old businesses fail!

Christie, I would like to visit the place in Mt. Grove too. I have looked at the fruit tree layout several times.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Is the demonstration garden in Mt. Grove associated with the experimental station? They are a great help, they've given me advice several times on fruit tree care (but I still have Brown Rot). They are quite helpful on anything that's asked.
    I believe its not just the ecenomy thats causing buisness to close, sometimes it's the practices they use to hang on-which in turn, is losing customers.
    Theres a Orchleins (? SP) in Houston, and a new big store in W.P that the name escapes me at the moment.(senior moment again!)

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I will need to hire somebody with a truck from time to time also, forgot about that. I would rather pay a regular person that wants to make a buck hauling stuff than a company, since then I have to wait til they want to haul it. Not that I'm all that "in a hurry", I just hate waiting for somebody that might be here "tues afternoon or wed morning", etc. that kind of thing.

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ceresone~ What about a hdw store? That one in Mt Grove by the Walmart, is it the closest big one? I used to live in booger co, been to Mt Grove a lot, was hoping to find more local sources for stuff, like especially building supplies. I don't think I'll have any animals the first year. Know of any sawmills around Cabool?

• ceresone
    14 years ago

There's a hardware store just across the bridge on 95-and down the road across from it is a discount grocery store. They have some good buy's--but you have to shop carefully.I like the cheese store that associated with the old milk plant too-it's not cheap, but cheese is good.all are on, or just off hwy 95.
    I know someone in Cabool with a small pickup, that does odd jobs.

• ozarkjean
    14 years ago

Happy birthday Rockguy! I live over by Summersville and there is a MFA store in Houston. I believe that new store in WP is Hirsch. I order lots online. Welcome

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ceresone said "I know someone in Cabool with a small pickup, that does odd jobs."
    I'd like to have a way to contact this person, now or after I get moved. I will not have internet right away.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm