Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Protecting fruit trees from birds

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

I'm still trying to decide whether to go out and buy bird netting to put over my sand cherries.

I have lots of tulle left over from my daughter's wedding so I spent nearly an hour kneeling down on my concrete driveway (my poor knees) using duct tape to connect three long rolls of it together. My idea was to cover the entire tree and keep the Japanese Beetles away as well as the birds. My daughter and I attached two corners to long poles to lift it up over the tree. It made a huge piece when it was all duct taped together so I thought it would be big enough but it wasn't. My neighbors surely think I'm insane. It was thundering and I wondered if my tulle would survive a storm so I gave up and came in the house. I'm also having doubts about whether it will be heavy enough to protect against birds and Japanese Beetles.

I need opinions from the wise. Do you think I should go back out with my roll of duct tape or am I wasting my time. lol

On Walmart's website, they have 14x14 bird netting and 7x100 wildlife netting. Kind of pricey for just sand cherries I guess. It doesn't say how big the openings are. I'd rather use tulle if it will work since I already have it and it might keep Japanese Beetles off too.

Comments (5)