Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frostbite on crepe myrtle

Posted by joyous_2007 Central Arkansas (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 9:37

I have a Natchez white crepe myrtle I planted last spring. It is about 6 feet tall now. We had a late frost this spring just after it had put out leaves. Now it has shoots coming from the roots, and a few leaves starting about three feet up. It appears the tree above three feet is dead. Do I need to prune off the top part?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frostbite on crepe myrtle

My crepe mrytle looks exactly as you described. I am starting to believe the top part is dead and may have to be removed. James

o

Mine looks the same way ! It is/was only about 6'tall and spindly, and has not bloomed because it is too shaded. It is "Tonto". I'm afraid I'd kill it if I tried to move it, so I am just hoping it will get tall enough to get enough sun to make it bloom. It is the first Crepe Myrtle that I have ever succeeded in growing.

o

My neighbor cut the tops off a row of crepe myrtles soon after the frost and hers are looking great. I only have rose of sharon and it looks sad. it's not dead but the leaves are just scattered along the branches.
vickie

o

• Posted by pauln z7B Arkansas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 16:28

You can scratch the bark on the part that looks dead. If it's green or yellow-green, it should leaf out. Yellow or brown will probably not leaf out. It seems like it should've leafed out by now. You might be better off cutting off the old trunks and letting the plant grow from the new shoots coming out of the base. Whatever you do, PLEASE don't flat-top the plants next winter. Let the crepes grow the way God(ess) intended.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here