gldno1
16 years ago

It looks very true to its parent plant.

{{gwi:662929}}

I was hoping for something different.

Comments (10)

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Still very pretty though. How many seedlings do you have? Maybe you'll still get some other colors. Surprises are more fun.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't counted them but I have about a 20 foot row. I tried my hand at my first hybridizing last night by crossing specific plants. Hope at least some set seed pods.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I have one thats a similar color. Hopeyou get some great surprises. I get one in a blue moon that comes up volunteer.

I'm still transplanting daylilies into big pots. Have decided to take a break with daylilies and transplant two peonies in larger pots than daylilies are in.
    vickie

• oakleif
    16 years ago

gld, have you had anymore seedlings bloom?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oakleif, I have and they are just like the mother plant. Evidently bees don't do much pollinating with them.

I just planted out three Joan Senior seedlings. I am sure they won't bloom this year.

I have had two blooms on the plants I got at the Master Gardener's sale this year. One I liked very much and the other is bent over from the rain so I haven't had a chance to check it out.

It has rained for several days here. We are up to about 4 inches........at least no tornadoes. We did go to the cellar yesterday when they were all around us and within a few miles....none touched down, thankfully.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Glenda, it is beautiful. I cross pollinated some a few years ago and got several variations. Here is one:
    {{gwi:1113294}}
    It is really common looking, but I like it. :-)
    Thr hooved rodents cropped off all those oncoming blooms a day or so after I took that picture. :-(

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

marian, I just collected the seeds, didn't do any crossing. I am trying some crosses this year.

I love your yellow, not common at all...I think I only have Hyperion in yellow.

Here are three more seedlings; only one seems slightly different. I think I will leave them in place and see what they look like next year.
    {{gwi:1113291}}
    {{gwi:1113292}}
    {{gwi:1113293}}

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I loved the top one. It's kind of a fantasy spiritual kind of flower. kinda like a fairy thats there one minute and gone the next. Yep!! i've got a wild imagination. But thats what i see.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Glenda they are all pretty. My Lemon daylily was chomped off by the deer a few days ago. :-(

This is what it looked like last year:

{{gwi:1113298}}

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a pretty one. Sure glad I don't have your deer! I guess there is no good way to stop them.

I'm getting worried about my sweet corn. It is beginning to put out silks so I need to get busy with a hot wire, even though the raccoons got it all last year with the hot wire.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists