Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

What are you watering?

christie_sw_mo
11 years ago

I'm on a 10 minute break. I decided to water my shrubs for 10 minutes each, so I came in to set the timer. I don't want to stay out there while I water them. It's already getting hot. Some of my shrubs hadn't been watered yet this summer and some of them have been watered once.

I watered my hostas this morning and for some of those, this is only the second time. Some have been watered more, it depends where they are. I haven't watered any trees yet and don't know if I will. I didn't last summer except for a couple trees that are fairly young.

And - I'm not watering my lawn. I don't think dandelions and plantain need much water. lol

Comments (8)

• helenh
    11 years ago

I am watering azaleas, a young J. maple and fringe tree, some favorite shrubs, blue berries, cucumbers and tomatoes, day lilies that are still pretty and blooming, newly planted stuff and pots. I thought yesterday that I need a plan because I think this heat will continue. Really what did we think summer would be like after last winter. This pattern has been in effect for a year. It is going to be hard for me to not water things, but some things are higher priority. I think we are having tropical storms earlier. There is another one brewing, but will the blocking high let any thing in here? It is hard to feel sorry for my garden when the poor people near Colorado Springs are having fires and Florida flooded. I am retired; I feel for people who do outdoor work. I may mix up some Surround which is clay and spray my tomatoes to block some sun.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Everything.

• sweetwm007
    11 years ago

ditto, everything.
    william

• djamie
    11 years ago

I've been watering front and rear beds weekly.
    The garden gets watered more frequently, about every 3 days.
    I water late evening into the late night....2..4 am, as I an late night.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

I am trying to catch up on my reading...so I am late here.

I am just watering my fairly new shrub border between the house and the road, sweet corn, pole beans, peppers and sweet potatoes, one hill of crook neck squash and of course, tomatoes!

I am letting most perennials, roses and other ornamentals go. Some will survive; some won't.

Next spring will tell the tale.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glenda I was thinking about emailing you. It seems like it's been quite awhile since you posted. Glad you checked in. I've been letting a few things go too, some unintentionally. The rain has missed us here so far. My grand total for July is a little over a tenth of an inch and June was very dry too.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

I'm watering everything. My 45-YO American Holly is about 20 ft plus high and really suffering. Don't know if it will make it, and a shame, because that's my grkids' "hideout."

Yesterday afternoon broke my heart. Huge, huge field of green/dark green headed from the north for southeast Joplin with a bit of hail in it. I put things out of harm's way for that instance, and waited and waited and it still looked good, but apparently it all "broke apart" at sunset (as they said it would) but -- still!! Some north of Silver Creek/Joplin sure got some good rain, though. Perhaps we'll have some today.

I watered very well and then mulched with more shredded leaves. Try to keep the birdbaths and troughs filled for the thirsty little creatures here.

This WILL pass, but WHEN? Hope it's sooner rather than later!
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Nothing in my part of SE Joplin, Sunny. Not one drop.

Then coming home from Oklahoma today it looked like a heck of a storm over our way, but nothing when we got home. :(

Sandy