Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckmclements

Wisteria questions

ckmclements
19 years ago

I have a wisteria in my front yard that was put in the ground 2 years ago as a seedling (maybe 8-10 inches tall). Every year it seems to put on lots of leaves, but it doesn't seem to grow very much, and it dies back to a couple of short little twigs in the winter, so it seems like it's starting all over again in the spring. Also, this year it put on a leafy shoot at the top that's probably a foot long that just sort of waves in the breeze. Should I be giving that something to cling to/twine around? Am I doing something wrong with my plant? Should it be putting on some actual height? HELP!

Comments (10)

• GardenGhost
    19 years ago

It make take a few more years to bloom. I had one for three years before I got a bloom on it. It finally bloomed the first time last year--just a couple of sprigs of blooms. But then this year, it was loaded!!! The fragrance filled the air. And now all these velvety seed pods hang from the limbs like stockings.

Give it time. It will kick in. Mine did nothing for a few years, but it was worth the wait.

Casper

• helenh
    19 years ago

Seedling wisteria plants sometimes take years to bloom. If you do a search on the Garden Web, you will find many complaints about wisteria not blooming. I haven't looked it up in a while, but I think I was on the vine forum where I saw all the problems with it not blooming.

• RoseRustler
    19 years ago

I bought a tiny wisteria plant at a garage sale this spring for a dime and planted it. It's about three feet tall now..maybe a little less. But just growing up straight. Should I prune it to force other branches out?

RoseRustler

• mscratch
    19 years ago

do not prune your tiny wisteria, its still a baby..each year it will continue to grow and will put out new shoots on its own.I would give it some help in climbing however. Yes, it will take at least 3 years to blossom and then will only have a few but as it matures it will blossom more.

• frances_ar
    19 years ago

Feed it some Super Phosphate this fall as well. Mine didn't bloom at all til I called the Master Gardener at the County Extension Office, and he told me to use this, and the next year it was loaded. I had horrible luck with this plant at the beginning, it broke off the first year below the ground, came back, and it was mowed down for 3 straight years til I threatened my lawn guy. I even had a tomato cage around it, and he moved it. I don't know what he was thinking. lol

• dak001
    19 years ago

one should buy a blooming Wisteria to ensure it will bloom in your lifetime. a little more pricey but worth it......

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Anyone planting wisteria? This was on last page.

• pauln
    15 years ago

I hope you like it, because when it starts blooming, you'll soon have HUNDREDS of seedlings coming up everywhere. Wisteria is an awful plant and can never be kept in bounds. Years ago, someone planted some vines just across the fence from my yard. It climbs up their trees, and leans over into my yard where there is some sun. Sure, it's beautiful when it blooms and is buzzed by bumblebees, but those 2 weeks of beauty don't make up for the other 50 weeks of a really nasty plant.

I try to pull up the new seedlings. If I don't catch them soon enough, they are impossible to dig up due to deep tap roots. I have to get the full strength roundup out and snip the plant and dob the roundup on the wound with a medicine dropper. If it is a large vine, then it usually takes two or more applications. And every year hundreds of pods are poised to drop their gift. On the first warm days of spring I can actually hear the seeds dropping from the opened pods.

Invasive plants are becoming a pet peeve of mine. I know that several of y'all are not happy with me right now. We all have deep emotional ties with some plants, especially those that we remember from our childhood. If things keep heading the direction they are going, children of the future will only have invasive plants to think about.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I am inclined to agree with pauln. Mine was given to me by a well meaning friend. It is one of the native wisterias. Mine sends out very long suckers...several feet long! You can pull and pull, but still have pieces that you don't get, and the cycle starts all over again !
    They do have beautiful blooms, but that is all they have going for them, in my opinion.

• ckmclements
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I can't take this original posting down, but that wisteria I was asking about has been dead as a doornail and replaced by a tree for a couple of years now. Thank you very much for the well-meant advice, but I don't really need it anymore.