Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

wild here but fragrant

helenh
10 years ago

The J. honeysuckle has taken over but this year it is all blooming. Other years I have wondered why it doesn't all bloom. This year more rain and it is all blooming. I can almost forgive it for taking over. Most of my mockorange is not fragrant but I have lots. One or two of them are pleasantly fragrant and the orange azalea is also fragrant.

If you want to buy a mockorange this is the time while it is blooming. Smell it in the nursery because it varies from plant to plant.

Comments (10)

• gldno1
    10 years ago

Helen, I love the wild and beautiful look! My two mock oranges are not fragrant either. I am trying to kill out the wild honeysuckle that somehow got mixed in with my red one by the porch....not an easy job.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

With all the rain, the honeysuckle in the fields behind me has gone absolutely insane, covering everything. But when I walk out into our own (honeysuckle-free at last!) woods, it smells wonderful!

Sandy

• jaceysgranny
    10 years ago

My Mock Orange Ian't fragrant either but my Confederate Jasmine is blooming now and smells heavenly. The honeysuckle across the road is smelling good too. Helen, what is the Orange blooming tree? It is so pretty.

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the smell of jasmine and used to have one for a house plant. When one or two little flowers bloomed you could smell it in the hall where I had it by a glass door.

Is your jasmine hardy; how do you keep it through the winter?

The orange shrub is Exbury azalea which is deciduous. They had some at Lowe's earlier in the year; theirs were a different cultivar but the same type of plant. I took a picture of the one from Lowe's earlier and it is on here if you want to look.

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

Somehow a giant Japanese honeysuckle has snuck in with my coral honeysuckle and is blooming like crazy. I suspect it's been there for at least a couple years but didn't bloom until this year because it's over my head. I haven't been able to kill a much smaller one that crept into my shrub row so I don't know how in the world I'm going to get rid of that one. It has probably already rooted along the stems in a dozen places or more.
    All those blooms mean more seedlings Helen. I want to get mine out before the birds start planting more. I don't know how long I have until it goes to seed.

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine is beyond control so I just enjoy the smell. Get it out of your shrubs if you can because I used to have quite an area of red flowering quince that bloomed in spring and it was totally covered years ago. What is not covered in honeysuckle is covered in clematis. The clematis has no redeeming qualities and is just as hard to fight.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Christie, in my experience, the Only Way besides digging is --- (whisper) RoundUp. Cut back to within a foot and then spray away with you-know-what. Works great on poison ivy, too.
    Good luck.
    Sunny
    PS I feel your pain -- I have it started (again) in my spirea row around the property. It's gotta go, even if I don't ordinarily use chemicals.

• pauln
    10 years ago

I've managed to rid most of my jungle of Japanese honeysuckle. I have a small area of coral honeysuckle, and it's doing pretty well, but too shady to bloom much. Someone before me planted Asiatic jasmine and it's a beast. When it climbs, it will bloom for two or three weeks. It's sweet and strong with a smell similar to candy cigarettes from my distant childhood. One of these days, I'm going to commense to yanking that stuff down and getting the roundup out. A good squirt of Dawn in the mix is good when dealing with waxy leaves.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Pauln, I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses you-know-what. And I truly am an organic gardener, except for THAT.

Interesting about Asiatic jasmine. Have never heard of it. I'm a jasmine fan and have several varieties in pots, and the Confederate jasmine on a trellis is also potted. It goes wacko in summer.

I'm currently losing the battle with apple mint --
    Sunny

• pauln
    10 years ago

Sunny, I don't recommend Asiatic jasmine to anyone. It's evergreen and very agressive and weedy.

I try my best to use as little pesticides as possible, and only when nothing else seems to work. I use roundup mostly to attempt to tame the evil wisteria that my neighbors planted 50 years ago on their pines. It leans over the fence and literally rains wisteria seeds on the first warm day of late winter. With roundup, I usually use the concentrate and wearing gloves, saw or lop the offending vine/tree and dob the concentrate on the wound. This usually takes a couple of applications about a month apart. I also tried some Image on my nutsedge. It burned down the stuff last fall, but it's back in full fury this year. I'm fixin to do it once again.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional