Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

rabbit dilemma

helenh
9 years ago

Ok I know there is no answer to this problem. I was roughly pulling up bolting lettuce from my cold frame. I heard a little cry and felt something soft. It was a baby rabbit and I had torn up its nest. There were two others. I made them a new nest. It was raining so I covered it with cardboard, later discovered my nest was full of ants. I removed the nest dusted with Selvin and put a basket in with cotton balls from my medicine cabinet. Today Beau is chewing on an adult rabbit which I am sure is the mother. Now I have three babies with no mother and a yard full of predators which are Spanky the cat, Beau and Honey. I will be mad if I feed the rabbits and they are murdered which will surely happen.

Comments (7)

• gldno1
    9 years ago

Helen, you know mean old, practical me.....I won't tell you what I would do. I would be worried and hate it but.............

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I don't believe when I was a child, we ever managed to raise a wild bunny.

• helenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not feeding them. Beau loves the bare dirt in my garden and hangs out there; he would kill them for sure. Then I would be upset with him for being a dog. I also screamed at Honey today and took the baby bird away. He had it in his mouth but I found no injuries.

• sunnyside1
    9 years ago

Sorry, Helen -- sad situation.
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    9 years ago

I'm afraid to ask how it turned out Helen. We used to bring them in and raise them when we were kids if our beagle got into a nest. They carry diseases though.
    Chloe was barking and wagging her tail at a baby rabbit just on the other side of the chain link fence yesterday. So cute when they're little.
    My yard has had a population explosion of rabbits this year so I guess the cold winter didn't hurt them any. It seems like every few years they're more plentiful like that. I don't kill them. They seem to wane again on their own just fine. Predators I guess.

• helenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't feed them and I didn't go back to look at them after the day Beau was crunching on an adult rabbit. He likes to lay on the bare ground in the garden so I know it was the mother rabbit. I don't want to be upset. If I fed them I would really be upset when Beau got them. When I see wild animals on the road hit by a car it doesn't bother me. I figure the buzzards will have something to eat. When I see a cat or dog I know someone is going to be very sad and it makes me sad. There is no use in getting attached to doomed wild animals.

• rockwhisperer OK zone 6A
    9 years ago

I have a rabbit in my fenced-in garden. We had strung chicken wire onto the bottom of the chain link, all around, as we discovered the rabbits were squeezing thru the chain link, and it got into the garden when it was small enough to get thru the holes in the chicken wire. Now it's too big for that, won't run out thru the gate when I leave it open, makes a U-turn and goes the other way when I chase it. If you can set those bunnies free, do it, they can munch on grass and other stuff you won't want them to munch on and they will survive. They are tough. If a predator gets it, Honey, I'm sorry, but it's nature's way and everything has to eat.