Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

#@%��+��### groundhog is back!

mosswitch
11 years ago

We trapped a near dozen groundhogs out of the woods and garden last summer, thought we had gotten rid of the colony and that was the end of it for a while, but now a new one has moved in yesterday. Amazing how much they can eat in one day! I was commenting how good my chicory was looking, and waiting for lots of pretty blue flowers.....whacked to the ground! I won't miss the violets much or the blackeyed susans, but the chicory that I've been trying to grow for the last 4 or 5 years made me mad, the war is on and the traps are out. In the meantime, I dusted everything with black pepper just in case. Now I know what ate the hostas next to the deck. I had that blamed on bunnies but now I don't think so!

I just hope it's not a nursing mother because if it is, we will have to let her go until her babies are weaned. She is in the old den under the studio and I sure don't want to have dead baby groundhogs under there. A dead mouse a few weeks ago was too much for me!

Sandy

Comments (6)

• helenh
    11 years ago

You need the team I have here to run through your garden looking for groundhogs. At first I thought you were soft feeling sorry for baby groundhogs then I got to the end where we discovered your reasoning. Maybe the chicory will shoot back up. Is it the wild chicory that grows in limey parking lots and in gravel? Sometimes plants that appear to be tough have specific requirements and are not that easy to grow just anywhere.

• jfmand3
    11 years ago

young ground hog,fried, along with mashed tators and gravy is mighty tasty.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The groundhog has been relocated to an undisclosed (I truly don't know where and I'm not asking) new home far far away from my chicory, ya hoo! The trap will be reset tomorrow in case he brought a buddy, haha.

Yes Helen it is the wild chicory, I love the blue and I've been trying to get it to grow by my pond for years, but there have been those groundhog issues. Plus I think I was pulling out the seedlings for a while there because they look just like dandelions! This was looking like a real good year for it but I think it will come back ok, it didn't eat the entire plant, just the top.

Haha I'll be glad to bring you the next one we catch, jf, you are welcome to have him for a meal. As for me I think I'll pass.

Sandy

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The groundhog has been relocated to an undisclosed (I truly don't know where and I'm not asking) new home far far away from my chicory, ya hoo! The trap will be reset tomorrow in case he brought a buddy, haha.

Yes Helen it is the wild chicory, I love the blue and I've been trying to get it to grow by my pond for years, but there have been those groundhog issues. Plus I think I was pulling out the seedlings for a while there because they look just like dandelions! This was looking like a real good year for it but I think it will come back ok, it didn't eat the entire plant, just the top.

Haha I'll be glad to bring you the next one we catch, jf, you are welcome to have him for a meal. As for me I think I'll pass.

Sandy

• helenh
    11 years ago

You are good at trapping animals. I have never had any luck getting anything to go in a trap.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you caught your groundhog Sandy.

I like wild chickory too. It seems like it blooms for a long time. From where I've seen it growing, I bet it needs really good drainage. It's odd that I don't see it in yards, just along the road. I've never tried to start any myself but have been tempted.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA