Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Journal - 2nd half of June

christie_sw_mo
14 years ago

Wow June is almost half over!

How is everyones' gardens doing? This forum has been a little quieter than usual. Hope everyone is alright. We were out of town for a couple days.

I finally planted my melon seeds, although I intended to plant them around the first of June. I soaked the seeds overnight and planed them yesterday and this morning. My Sakata's Sweet seeds were already starting to sprout. They're a small Asian melon and you're supposed to able to eat the peel like an apple. I can't remember reading if the peel actually TASTES good though. lol

Also planted Orangeglo and Blacktail Watermelons, Charentais, and Piel De Sapo. The last one takes a long time to mature and I should have planted it a month ago. Hope they get to finish but only planted a few seeds just in case.

I found several watermelon volunteers and not sure what to do with those. I need to find some more room. At least one of them is Moon & Stars.

My Kohlrabi are starting to bulb out a little bit.

We got a much appreciated heavy rain last night.

Pam - There were a lot of tornado warnings toward mid Missouri this week. Did you have any storm damage?

Comments (28)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Glad you started this, Christie. I have been missing the activity here.

It is the busiest time of the year for gardeners.

The garden is looking good. I got my melons in last week and all are up except for some seeds from Pinetree....I think they are a bust, Long Island Cheese squash.

Onions are bulbing, eating new potatoes and snap peas, spinach is finished. Harvested 9 inch heads of broccoli.
    Been eating some kohlrabi, next is to cook the tops. Probaby lost some strawberries due to the very good rains, first we got 1/2 inch and then over an inch. Tomatoes are looking very healthy.

The Moon and Stars are up nicely.

Mower has been on the fritz..again. Supposed to be fixed today. I will have to mow a couple of times to get the yard under control!

I have been on the fritz too! After a month, I decided I wasn't going to lick it without help....have a sinus infection. Just two days of meds and I am much improved. Won't make that mistake again.

I still have a flat of shastas to put in the ground, and some various other things....I haven't been getting much accomplished.

Please check in everyone....we miss you!

Glenda

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Glad you started this,Christie.
    I'm also glad you mentioned just starting the melon seeds, I have a bed thats half finished, but I was wanting to get a few melons out, think I'll do that today--along with the mowing. By the time I finish mowing the entire yard, where I started needs it again--and this is in two days!
    My Broccoli and Cauliflower are heading nicely, should be able to finish them this week. Kohlrabi? Next year, quadruple what I'm planting of it!!
    Strawberries do need moved, they didnt like where I put them.
    I've never seen such big potato vines, they are well over waist high, hope underground is doing as well, onions are bulbing up nicely--corn gluten meal doing its job!
    Tomatoes and peppers blooming away, sweet potatoes just sitting, I think everything needs hot weather (except me)and it looks as if we're going to get it this week.
    And--thats how things are on our road.

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Sounds as if everyone is quite busy.
    So glad you mentioned melons. I have mine sitting here an keep forgetting to put them in. So will soak today an put in this evening.
    I also plan on putting in a fresh batch of radish, lettuce. Trying to remember to do so every 10-14 days. You guessed it, I forget it has been 3 weeks since it did it last. lol
    I finally have my new raised bed finished. 8'x8'. I can hardly wait to get in there.
    My grand children were here for the weekend so a few things had to be put off. They were so funny though. They wanted to know what I was putting in the garden. So I told the composted cow poop. Short sweet I thought they would understand sort of. Well they all looked at me like I was crazy for "playing in cow poop". So when their parents came to p/u the children an they told them I was in cow poop. Well my daughter gave me the "you are just too weird look". lol She is a clean nut.
    My flowers are finally starting to bloom. Alaska daisies I started last fall are blooming, foxglove are winding down. The Lupine and coreopsis, an some other I can't remember the name of are doing quite well also. Have buds on several others. So excited can't wait to see the new to me blooms that I ws last year.
    The hosta are doing rally well so far.
    Yes I agree we are in for some real heat this week.Maybe since we have had all this rain I won't need to water. Hey I can hope.
    I have been pulling more soil up on my potatoes. To cover the stem and up to the near bottom of the leaves. Is this the right thing to do? I sure hope I'm doing these right.
    Oh yeah, I have a stray cat using my flower beds for a litter box! Yuck! Sorry this was so long.
    Bonnie

• southerngardenchick
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! :)

Christie,
    I wanted to tell you that those Oregon peas you sent me are AWESOME! I'm not a good "start from seed" person yet, but I do have six "bushes" of them out in the garden. So far no peas have made it to the kitchen yet, I'm eating them raw in the garden while I'm working... LOL! I'm a big kid when it comes to this! Also, I opted to do the OrangeGlo watermelons instead of the Moon and Stars, for space reasons. I want the orange ones to make homemade wine with, won't that be PRETTY? I also have Bush Baby melons and Green Nutmeg melons that Dawn over on the Oklahoma forum sent me. Also, I have two vines of the Sakatas melons too! I busted out my Baker's Creek catalog and they seem SO INTERESTING! I'm hoping they're good too... LOL!

I got my pink banana squash out finally, and my regular green okra. Those little guys had been in their cups far too long! My angle gourds (vine okra) is growing like crazy, if it doesn't produce... at least it's making a beautiful vine!

So far my only problems have been a major miscalculation with a compost pile (got nasty, ugh)... and OMG THE WEEDS THIS YEAR! I think I've got good plans on both those problems tho, so I'm not as frustrated as I was, say.. a week ago... LOL! THAT'S PROGRESS!

I went out today and saw that I have the cutest little cherry tomatoes formed! Hard to stay frustrated when THAT HAPPENS!

Have a good day everyone!

Beth

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I never planted my peas Beth. I forgot about them. lol I guess it's a good thing I sent you some. I wonder if I could plant some for fall.

I found my first Japanese Beetles today. : (

Bonnie - Do you have good luck with Lupine? I failed at those and I had such high hopes. They even have pretty foliage.

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Christie, I was just looking at the almanac an it has dates for late planting of peas. I was checking b/c I forgot to buy seed for cucumbers. So wondering if I could still plant. I was looking an realized I had the type for pickling. Not really what I was wanting.
    This was my first year w/lupine. They were doing great and I just love the looks of them then something started eating the bottom leaves. so plan to go out after dark an see what I dealing with tonight. So many of my plants are "new" to me so I have to look at the names I have written down until I get the plant foliage an name stuck in my head. Oh my that will be a challenge since I have that very short memory. lol
    Beth I did that w/my compost pile last year. I had too much green. Way smelled for about two weeks. I added a lot of browns to it and it perked back up an stopped smelling.
    Sorry to hear about your beetles.
    I will figure out what bug I have dining on my plants to night I hope. Funny or maybe lucky I have had no damage to any of my potatoes. I was so afraid they would be covered in bugs. Not in the a.m. it will be covered.
    I found some more broccoli seed so I may put some in for fall.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Oh, no, Christie, not J. beetles already. I haven't seen any so far....but need to look closer! Dratted things.

Just checked and my second planting of the Long Island Cheese squash is up! I wanted to try it so am very pleased. Now if I can just keep it alive.

Clematis wilt has hit........

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

I am bushed.
    I just came in from transplanting all of my vegetables into the garden.
    The only thing I need to do now is remember to sow more lettuce etc ever 10-14 days.
    Oh an I forgot. I also want to plant several marigolds thorough out the garden area.
    An track down some cucumbers.
    Off to go check w/flash light an see what has been chewing up some of my plants.
    The neighbors will think I have gone round the bend. lol
    I had never heard of wilt affecting clematis, hope yours makes it.
    Bonnie

• teeandcee
    14 years ago

I've been really busy outside too. My front yard is completely landscaped and mulched. The back yard basic shrubs are in the ground, and we're finishing up mulching this week. I now get to play with perennials, yippee! I was just awestruck by the shasta daisies at BestBuy this afternoon. Wow!

My veggie garden is gorgeous with small peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes. Next year I'm doubling the size. I AM having a problem with leaf hoppers on the eggplant and may have to resort to chemical control.

I also finally completed my under-the-deck shade garden, which is filled with ferns, hostas, and astilbe. I'm pleased as punch with this one as it's the one I sit by on the downstairs patio.

I'm so pleased with all I've gotten done so far this year by working just a little bit each day.

• chickadee_42us
    14 years ago

Hope you all don't mind, I pop in here occasionally and read up on your area. I traipsed in here following a post one day and became very happy reading your posts. I like that you have a great group of people and the site is favorable to all.

CONGRATULATIONS.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Well, we'll just adopt you, Chickadee. You can be an "Honorary Ozarker." How's that sound??

I've been busy as well. Just have to do everything heavy early in the morning as the heat really gets to me later. Finally found a "helper" who will come and do the heavy stuff, and that is a relief.

Everyone, take care out there working in the sun -- please remember to drink lots of water, okay?
    Sunny

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Well, just before the rain yesterday, I planted 4 hills of watermelons, and cantelopes.
    Wanted to finish the mowing this morning, before the heat hits this week--but from the looks of KY3's map, the rain will beat me.
    Welcome, Chickadee, don't just drop by--stay with us, we're all friendly.
    I guess if it rains,I'll go to the library-sounds better than cleaning house, don't it? Found another author, Lisa Jackson.
    Starting to thunder again, I'd better go--Take Care All.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

It's raining! Hard! I guess this one is getting everyone. We don't really need it, but it is better than no rain at all.

I had great plans for today.......the mower man was a no show, but will be here this morning (I hope). Maybe I can mow late today.

I did pick the last of the strawberries yesterday, thank goodness. I had lost a lot to all the wet, but got another three quarts. My dear DH helped me work them up. Retirement has made him a changed man! Thank you Lord.

We picked up some more limbs from the tree trimming that is an ongoing project. I removed a holly "tree" that was next to the front porch. Got tired of it grabbing me everytime I swept the porch.

I planted the flat of shastas and some of the white hesperis. I think I left it sitting in the yard somewhere...need to find it before I forget it altogether.

Daylilies are starting to bloom...rain won't enhance them.

chickadee, welcome to the Ozarks! We love having lots of people here, the more the merrier. You can grow some things some of us can't but I am betting we also grow some of the same things and we all share a love of gardening.

Did I mention that it is raining (again).

Happy gardening.

glenda

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a nice complement Chickadee. I'm glad you felt welcome enough to post and of course you can join in anytime.

We've been getting a lot of rain too but with the 90s in the forecast, we're glad to get it. I'm hoping it doesn't rain all day though.

• southerngardenchick
    14 years ago

Christie,
    I need to get me an almanac like Bonnie has... my little go to list doesn't recommend fall peas. I am growing for seed now (instead of snack, lol..), and was thinking about planting a few in a big pot and putting it in front of my sliding glass door... they're neat little plants! We'll see how much more they grow and produce, or if they're bout done. :)

Bonnie,
    I got me a real mess on my hands with my pile... LOL! I can laugh about it now, cuz I feel I can fix it. I've got everyone I know saving me newspapers to "SAVE THE PILE"! Might get some cardboard from the local package store too. I just piled up too many greens, WAY TOO MANY.

Chickadee,
    Welcome! I haven't been speaking with these fine ladies for long, but everyone is so nice! They make ya feel right at home with questions and just talking about the gardens in general. :)

Beth

p.s. I'm linking my planting schedule that I found on the internet... ya'll let me know if it sounds right? LOL! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: planting schedule

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

My veggie garden consists of peas in window boxes setting on the deck, and potted vegs on top of my old Toyota Corolla Stationwagon! LOL
    These tactics are taken to deter the deer ...
    I grew the peas just to eat fresh from the vines. I love them that way. :-)

Here is a pic of the Toyota Top Garden:

{{gwi:162337}}

It has grown some since I took that pic. Our frequent rains are good for them.

Speaking of rains...did any of you have damage from yesterday's storm? Harrison had a little wind damage, and the head of our driveway is washed out...again! :-(

Marian

• chickadee_42us
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for the welcoming kindness. I won't be posting to often since I feel like a usurper however, I will say I love visiting the Ozarks. In a perfect world I think I could retire there.

Ladies, tell me about your experiences with chain saws. I need to cull limbs. Husband does not seem interested in pitching help this way, he spends his time at our land so I can't complain too much as the land supports the cows which support his working at the land! I am almost afraid of the chainsaws; but I am quickly getting over that fear. I trim out as much as possible with the extension saw but this last weekend I chose a limb to thick and had to have fight with the limb a few times as the saw blade kept getting stuck.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

You should check out the electric ones if you have a place to plug one in...and lots of drop cord. Be sure to tell anyone the size of the limbs you will be cutting and get the lightest weight saw that will handle them.

I use a Stihl saw, maybe 15 inch bar. But I can't start the darned thing from cold. Once DH gets it going, I can fire it up again as often as needed. I use it for all trimming over 2 inches or so.

You just have to be very sure of your footing and how you handle it.

• southerngardenchick
    14 years ago

Marian,
    LOVE the Toyota garden! CLEVER! I have a friend growing onions on top of a shed in tires... LOL! For space reasons, and she just wants to grow as much as she possibly can. We joke around that she'll have to get a ladder to get an onion for a burger... lol!

Chickadee,
    Just be super careful. I use my husband's Poulan from time to time, especially after we had the major damage from the ice storm to our pecan trees. Also, do NOT use the saw alone or without anyone knowing what you're doing. Just a safety concern, ya know? :)

Beth

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Chickadee, I bought a small Craftsman electric chain saw after the last ice storm. I had to be sure I used the right gauge electrical cord (14?) and that the saw always had oil in it.
    Cuts fine if you're not too ambitious. I used it with another person using his saw, wore eye protection and heavy gloves. I was advised to not let it ever touch the ground when you're cutting. It sure isn't my favorite activity.
    My daughter didn't think "ladies of a certain age" should be using a chain saw!
    Just think what you're doing every minute and you'll be okay.
    Sunny

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Marian, now that is a 'raised' bed garden. Glad you are getting lots of rain so you don't have to climb up often to water. The tomatoes are looking very good.

Sunny, my FIL has always thought ladies didn't do almost all the things I do. Especially lifting heavy things. When you live on a farm and your husband is gone a lot due to work, you do what you gotta do!

We finally got the big mower yesterday and I mowed most of the yard late in the day. I was surprised that it cut the tall grass so well. It will look better with the next mowing, but at least I got it cut. Still have some to do around the garden and the outbuildings in the back.

I just discovered the last rain and wind snapped off one of the biggest of the Redbud trees I had transplanted two years ago. If it doesn't come back, I think I will plant a fruit tree there.

I am pulling up the lettuces and spinach. The heat has done them in. Cabbages are starting to make heads. I haven't raised them in so long I can't remember if heat will ruin them or not?

Glenda

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Man was it hot today,
    I laid rock out to extend my flower bed on the west end of house. Started last week but ran out of rock.
    Went through on mulched most of the beds but still have about 6 more to do yet.
    Transplanted some 4o'clocks. they were too close and I wanted some down further in the yard anyway.
    Mowed. I did the weed eater last night.
    after I was done w/that I went around and deadhead and pinch back some things.
    Now I have to come in an do some house work. yuck I normally don't mind but rather tired tonight.
    I finally bought a camera an I was going to take pictures. But I am just too tired to do it tonight. Maybe some day this week when it's not 100 outside.
    Have not seen Helen post in a while. Hope everything is alright. An just busy with garden chores same as everyone else.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Wow, it is miserable outside. I can usually work out until 11 AM or so, but I gave it up at 9:30 this morning. I did get another bale of mulch down on the tomato row and tied them up; cut the broccoli and am inside for the rest of the day. I see so much that needs doing, I almost panic. But maybe if I just hit it every day, I will get caught up. Lost 4 days because of company so that put me behind.

I am starting to water a few things.

Stay out of the sun!

glenda

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

I'm like you, Glenda. I see so much that still needs to be done, but after watering morning and evening (different beds) I'm just a big old soggy thing with no ambition to do anything more. SURELY this heat will break soon and we can carry on with our lives in the garden!
    Don't tell my tomatoes they are not supposed to set fruit in this heat. Most are loaded with small green tomatoes and I can just taste that first BLT! It probably won't be first of July but sometime in that month.
    Everyone, please stay safe outside and please give your puppies/kitties shade and plenty of water.
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have some little green tomatoes too! I was worried that I planted my cherry tomatoes too late but there are several marble sized tomatoes on them (not ripe yet).

I need to start getting outside earlier. You're right Glenda. It's getting pretty hot by 9:30 or so.

Most of the forecasts I've looked at don't show a chance of rain in sight at all, but Weather.com says 50% for Thursday and Accuweather.com says 95% for the same day! NOAA doesn't mention any rain. We'll see who's right. If we get a thunderstorm Thursday, I'm going to start checking Accuweather more often. It's not terribly dry here yet but with the temps we've had, it won't be long. So far I'm just watering newly planted things.

Our air conditioning has quit working for the second time this summer. I think we're going to have to get a new one. It's central air and expensive but the house got up to 91 degrees yesterday. ugh My house faces the west and the trees just aren't big enough to shade it.

Bonnie - I haven't seen Helen post lately either. Hope she's doing ok. Maybe it's just too hot to garden.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Processed more broccoli this morning very early....didn't want the heat of the boiling water later in the day!

Sprayed for Japanese Beetles which are very bad this year. I did it before the bees were out.

Tilled the row of okra....you could barely see them for the weeds....now need to get mulch down in the morning.

Pole beans are climbing the hoophouse. I am finally seeing some green tomatoes setting. I have alread lost two squash vines to borers. Keeping my fingers crossed they don't get them all.

Ky Wonder pole beans are climbing the corn... cucumbers are up good and the volunteer one is blooming.

Mowed the west yard and did some string trimming and by 10 AM was in for the day.

I know I should go back out late in the day when the sun is over the yardarm, but I am usually not in the mood once I quit.....it will all be waiting for me tomorrow.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Well, I think it's the last time for tying up my Tomatoes this morning--they've reached the top of the cattle panel.

When I get the beds all done, I'm going to take 2 panels, fastened at one end, and put them into a raised bed-at the side--then go over a center bed-that would mean-say, bed one and three would have a end-then it would go over bed two.
    I want at least 2 panel ends to a bed. I figure Tomatoes, Pole beans (Fortex, of course) Squash, Watermelons, Cantelopes, etc will grow up and over-while the center bed will have shade.

As my Daughter used to say "Sounds good on paper!"
    Then, instead of growing tall Okra, Eggplant (which I've never grown before), I'm going to go for the dwarf varities.

In the meantime--I'm torn about the weather! Hot and Hotter, with no rain!Garden still looks good, havent watered yet, I dont usually. Sweet Potatoes, and Cucumbers are vining-Potatoes and Onions almost ready. Garden could use rain-BUT--if it dont rain, the fields wont be lush and green--so I can turn the horse out to pasture. Means less chores to do night and morning--and I wont have to pay $5.75 a bale for her hay. And here I used to think that when someone described a horse as "a easy-keeper" it sounded nice--it simply means they can founder on grass!

KY3 said this morning that humidity in Spf. was down 68%
    Ours is hanging in the air--humidity here is 93% according to weatherbug.
    I did some mowing yesterday about 5 pm--was it hot!never realized the tractor put off so much heat.
    I heard we had 2 heat-related deaths in Mo. already--everyone try not to work in the heat unless you have to--and drink lots of liquids.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Ceresone, I read what you said very slowly and can see it exactly. I think it will work since the vining things shouldn't totally cover the panels. I tried that with my hoophouse frame for lettuce and there was too much shade!

I got out by 6:30 this morning and mowed and mowed and re-mowed the chicken yard. I had let it get way ahead of me!
    Then I weeded the two rows of onions and hoed out the pepper patch. I am watering, slowly moving the sprinkler west to cover the whole thing. We are terribly dry.

It is 95° with 52 % humidity. Too hot for my by far.

Funny our perspective on rain and pasture.....we are wanting lots of lush green stuff for the cows! No horses here.

I grow Cajun Delight okra which is a shorter one....like it very much. I forgot, I also tilled and then weeded the okra row.

I need to check out Fortex beans; that's a new one.
    My Ky. Wonders are beginning to vine up the corn. I have tiny cucs set on the volunteer. The potatoes are already turning yellow and laying down, will probably dig them in a couple of weeks.

I pulled all the kohlrabi and broccoli this morning and accidentally pulled a baby yellow beet weeding so I decided to get enough for dinner. I took a picture of it. Will post in separate thread so it won't slow this one down.

Take care of the heat everyone!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!